"to fill the bill"
to be exactly what is needed in a particular situation
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: We need a new system for tracking project management.
Colleague 2: Let's make a list of our exact requirements. There are literally hundreds of project management software packages available and I am sure we can find something that fills the bill exactly.
Colleague 1: If we are going to make this huge change, then the new software has to be exactly what we require.
A mother and daughter are talking ...
Mother: How was that casserole I dropped off yesterday?
Daughter: Thank you very much. It was just perfect. You know that Bill and I have been working eighty-hour weeks and to come home on a Friday night and only have to throw the casserole in the oven and not have to do any work was really appreciated. It was also delicious and filling. We actually had a chance to relax.
Mother: I am glad the casserole filled the bill.
Filling the bill perfectly, the person with a degree in logistics management was hired for the position.
1) ... to get him through thick and thin, and these highly durable shoes fill the bill. Lightweight and waterproof thanks to reliable Gore-Tex fabric, the boots can trudge through ...
2) ... was one of the few restaurants that fill the bill AND were open for dinner on Sunday 6pm.
3) Austen's novels certainly fill the bill, prime examples of the literary humanism Marcus describes.
4) The successful candidate communicated how she would fill the bill, and she did it succinctly, right at the top of the resume, ...
5) ... device that isn't quite so large, the Nexus 4 might better fill the bill -- its dimensions are the most compact of the devices we're comparing here.
6) ... praying for a wife who was weird like him. I guess I fill the bill, but he was nothing like the man I expected to marry.
7) ... iPad just like the iPhone is a limited toy so yes it may fill the bill for elementary school kids.
8) The newfound particle fills the bill for the Higgs boson, but the researchers cautioned that more work is needed to ...
9) ... quickly read and leave with a smile on your face. This book fills the bill perfectly.
10) Sadly, there is no one on either side that fills the bill and could get elected.
11) Neighborhood pub with clean restrooms and amazing food? C-Bar fills the bill!
12) ... more productive, more energy dense, and more practical. Only nuclear fills the bill on all fronts.
13) The emotions need a reset occasionally, and depression fills the bill for this.
14) ... highlight text, and take notes on the document itself. iAnnotate fills the bill and puts all of my reading at arm's reach.
15) It may not be a bad thing that a man who clearly filled the bill for international public enemy number one has finally met a sticky end.
16) ... a fledgling manufacturing base and we needed unskilled labour. European migrants nicely filled the bill.
17) ... had reviewed the work of several eligible candidates but decided that no one filled the bill.
18) After looking into it I couldn't find anything that filled the bill so I decided to create it myself.
19) ... a good news story to change the image of the Tour. Armstrong filled the bill perfectly. His miraculous recovery was ideal cover.
20) ... but on researching it further, it became very apparent that it filled the bill for my aspirations and ambition. I was very impressed with the synergy of teaching ...