"first crack at"
the first opportunity to access, try, or do something
Related words and phrases:
A husband and wife are talking on a Friday evening ...
Wife: Well, are we going to go to some garage sales tomorrow.
Husband: Yes. That would be fun.
Wife: Let's get a really early start then. I want to have first crack at the good items before they are bought by someone else.
Husband: Bright and early it is then.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Are you ready to give your presentation to the board tomorrow?
Colleague 2: I've been agonizing over my presentation for weeks.
Colleague 1: Why is that?
Colleague 2: It's my first crack at giving a presentation to the board so I want to make a good first impression.
Colleague 1: Smart!
Getting the first crack at a job interview could be advantageous.
1) By law, the largest political party has first crack at forming a government.
2) Cara Jeffery's puppeteering was outstanding, especially when you consider this was her first crack at it.
3) So this is my first crack at banishing yellow-lit food from this blog.
4) Included in this phase is the first crack at a Charter Implementation Plan.
5) Season ticket holders get the first crack at things such as seats, lockers, signs and exercise equipment.
6) Our government believes that Canadians must always have first crack at job opportunities in Canada.
7) Amazon has a deal that gives Warner Bros. Pictures the first crack at bringing them to the big screen.
8) And you'll get first crack at some exciting new additions to the merchandise table.
9) With these numbers, the Conservatives would win 136 seats and have the first crack at a minority government.
10) It took us about five years to get our first crack at the world title.
11) Well, this'll be my first crack at giving a report.
12) Cough up $15 for 8:30 a.m. early-bird admission and get first crack at the wares.
13) Bill Scott, her nephew, said the family gave the Rock Hall first crack at the memorabilia.
14) Turner had to be patient behind LaDanian Tomlinson until his first crack at free agency when he was swooped up by the Falcons.
15) 99% of the time whoever contacts the seller first gets first crack at the item.
16) Seasoned garage sale customers often arrive before the posted times to get a first crack at the premium merchandise.
17) I've got a piece I'm working on now that takes my first crack at his relationship to reaction and neoliberalism.
18) Anybody's first crack at a head job there's going to be some growing pains.
19) If anyone deserved to get first crack at it, they did.
20) These couples I film getting married seemingly found their love on the first crack at school or at work.