"(to be) fishy"
to be dubious, questionable or likely improper or illegal
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Have you had a chance to review the deal that our newest vendor is offering?
Colleague 2: I have and there is something fishy about it.
Colleague 1: I was suspicious as well. How is it possible to deliver the same product at the same quality for half the price?
Two siblings are talking ...
Brother: All of a sudden, after years of fighting, Mom and Dad are getting along so well.
Sister: There is something fishy going on.
Brother: Do you think they are going to get a divorce?
There is no gerund form for fishy.
1) In both philosophy and science, we may feel there is something fishy about an argument or an experiment before we can identify exactly what the problem is ...
2) ... hope would be that the voters would be less likely to question or protest fishy and bogus outcomes.
3) ... investigating the attack scoffed at Mr. Abu Khattala's account. " It just sounds fishy to say you are on the scene and not participating.
4) Thomas would say, "Show me," when the story sounded too fishy. When someone's explanation did not seem to add up, he would ask ...
5) ... and if I don't find anything fishy with it, I'll get it added to the database.
6) I knew it seemed vaguely fishy, and I'm glad to have that suspicion confirmed.
7) If something comes up and sounds fishy, then dig a little deeper to verify your "expert's" statements, ...
8) Doesn't anybody see anything fishy about non-native speakers editing and grading native English speakers?
9) ... an interesting situation I haven't been able to figure out and am suspecting something fishy but maybe not.
10) But that would probably make too many people notice that something fishy is going on and decline.
11) This sounds pretty fishy to me. So fishy that I'm wondering if there's a miscommunication going on here.
12) Something is fishy about this story. I don't care how unstable you are, suddenly dropping ...
13) Many are found out by their fishy charging and spending habits. Here's how to detect evidence of a love crime:
14) The fishy part of neuroscience isn't the data. It's the spin we put on ...
15) ... the "glitch" was discovered and everyone at the company thinks there's something fishy about it.
16) In pop culture he's now basically synonymous with fishy scams and dangerous financial schemes.
17) ... but she gives me a look that says she knows something fishy is going on.
18) ... people registered to vote than who were technically eligible vote. OK, still sounds fishy. Lets dig deeper.
19) Hawaii did not affirm that nothing fishy was going on, so you have misstated the facts.
20) ... and has, raised a red flag that there is something kind of "fishy" going on here.