"to foot the bill"
to pay for something
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I think we need to launch a major advertising campaign to fight the bad press from our manufacturing plant chemical leak.
Colleague 2: I agree but which department is going to pay for the campaign?
Colleague 1: I think since it is manufacturing that caused the problem that the manufacturing department should foot the bill.
Colleague 2: They are not going to like paying.
Two teachers are talking ...
Teacher 1: Since we work in a poor inner-city school, don't you think a breakfast program would really help students to stay alert and learn more?
Teacher 2: Absolutely. It has always been needed. The challenge is how to fund such a program.
Teacher 1: Shouldn't the school board foot the bill.
Teacher 2: It is not in their mandate to use taxpayer money to feed children.
Teacher 1: Maybe we could find a philanthropist to pay for the program?
Footing the bill means you are responsibly for paying.
1) Plus, the company will have to foot the bill for an "expert, independent review" of its test development process.
2) If the American Government can afford to foot the bill for the kids of illegal immigrants to live in this country, why can't ...
3) ... in the governor's mansion and how she could get the state to foot the bill for her family's air travel.
4) If you had to be rescued because of your foolhardiness, should you foot the bill for being rescued?
5) To ask the American public to foot the bill for a blanket proposal that all women get contraception paid for by tax dollars is ...
6) This would allow the cases to go forward, with the government footing the bill for any damages awarded.
7) Why am I footing the bill for everyone who wants to run to a doctor for every sniffle?
8) It's the middle class who will be footing the bill -- and it will cost us more than what we have now.
9) My question is in this situation, who should be footing the bill for personal office items? How much money are we really talking about?
10) Of course, for some families, parents footing the bill for a student is not a possibility.
11) What security precautions must staff take with their devices? Who foots the bill if a device is lost or damaged at work?
12) Police are frightfully expensive. Who foots the bill?
13) So who foots the bill if they were given free gym passes, would the gym be loosing money?
14) We provide free meal for schoolchildren, but another country foots the bill for this one.
15) ... and the public at large who foots the bill for my uninsured workers, it isn't worth running my business.
16) I footed the bill for the forensic analysis.
17) ... we need to tighten our belts. I would love to know who footed the bill for her reckless son getting lost in the dessert.
18) He stated that his children were actually the ones who footed the bill for his birthday.
19) Nike have footed the bill for my travel and accommodation in Malaysia, Indonesia and now Thailand.
20) Who do these people think footed the bill when their employees had health problems before Obamacare?