a short sleep during the day
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Sure is a long day when you get up at four in the morning. I'm so sleepy.
Friend 2: Well, we've got time for a little break just after lunch.
Friend 1: Great. I think I'll catch forty winks then.
Friend 2: A short nap will do you good.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Must be nice to be the boss.
Colleague 2: I wouldn't mind taking forty winks at my desk.
Colleague 1: A short snooze is OK for the boss but I think it would not be acceptable for us.
There is no gerund form for forty winks.
1) Just take forty winks, and when you wake up everything'll be fine.
2) If she'll just stay around the house for a few days and take forty winks of sleep she'll be as fit as ever.
3) Decided it wouldn't be a good look so snuck in forty winks.
4) ... we're quite through with it; so I'm just going to take forty winks, while I can.
5) ... have revealed that a genetic mutation in fruit flies can prevent them from catching forty winks. This mutation, aptly named insomniac, ...
6) ... crime novel down or perhaps you're a sci-fi fan who can't get forty winks without your nightly fix of Jules Verne!
7) Here at Ergoflex we have some tips before you have your forty winks: You should try and limit your naps to around 15-20 minutes.
8) ... he goes with it and gets his head down for forty winks as required. Even if it is the middle of the day, ...
9) Without wishing to awaken any canines who may be taking a quick forty winks, ...
10) Country people use that time to grab forty winks.
11) ... sight and the two hour ferry crossing was a chance to refuel and catch forty winks.
12) Take forty winks: If you take 40 winks, you have a short sleep.
13) The journey back was uneventful. I tried to catch forty winks in the plane but the thought of being able to see Wuan and the cats ...
14) ... cockpit of an aeroplane isn't the best place to try to fit in forty winks.
15) Most of the group spent the afternoon on deck, while others grabbed forty winks or sorted through photos in the library.
16) ... you may start to feel flat, lethargic and miserable. Forty winks. When we sleep, our bodies rest, but our brains remain active ...
17) ... chances of finding a long forgotten wing of the mansion and curling up for forty winks in a discarded Chrisco hamper display.
18) ... video games, a full-service spa, and small, comfy bedrooms for catching forty winks en route.
19) ... many are the tales of porters who have perished on Kilimanjaro because they took forty winks and then couldn't find their way back to camp in the dark.
20) Get a load of these guys catching forty winks on the way to the job site.