of very poor quality or value
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I had to reject three batches of products in the factory this morning.
Colleague 2: What was wrong with them?
Colleague 1: They all had rather terrible flaws in one form or another.
Colleague 2: Flaws which would affect their function?
Colleague 1: Yes. The flaws would have affected function and they were cosmetically ugly.
Colleague 2: So, you rejected them because we will never allow this company to sell fourth-rate, inferior product.
Two students are talking ...
Student 1: Well? Did you get accepted into any of the Ivy League colleges you applied for?
Student 2: I was rejected by all of them. I guess my grades just weren't high enough.
Student 1: I suppose you will have to go to a second rate school then.
Student 2: No. They rejected me as well. I sent out even more applications to third-rate schools and was rejected yet again. I am now sending out applications to fourth rate schools. It is rather disappointing to accept the fact that I will be attending a very poor quality university or maybe even an under-funded community college.
There is no gerund form for fourth-rate.
1) The person who needs additional blood does not turn to a fourth-rate substitute; there are blood banks that provide human blood for human beings.
2) They adapted and transformed third-rate bourgeois traditions into fourth-rate socialist traditions, imposing upon the working class all the righteous mediocrity and worthless philistinism ...
3) A third-rate argument (from a fourth-rate ex-minister) for dragging everyone's kids down to the same pisspoor level.
4) More generally, it's just a tedious fourth-rate action you'd never want to play in any normal situations.
5) Now it is reaping the whirlwind; second-rate people on third-rate pay run fourth-rate, underfunded public institutions -- and everybody hurts.
6) ... say that neither the church nor the world has any need of a torrent of fourth-rate Christian fiction.
7) First, the Revenue ruled against the scheme and now Jack Straw, our fourth-rate' justice' secretary, has cut the number of hours prisoners can work.
8) ... 'milksop' and one who lived an obscure life in a petty coterie in fourth-rate London society, and was in no respect at a point of view more exalted ...
9) ... is (in my opinion) a national disgrace, overpriced, under-invested and general fourth-rate. I challenge anyone to travel on European railways.
10) depressed suburbs. There lies losses and heartache trying to deal with third-rate tenants in fourth-rate houses.
11) Apparently, both were accommodated by Club officials in fourth-rate lodgings in Mbeya, with no running water.
12) Most of their platform isn't even a real platform, it's a fourth-rate parlor trick designed to paper over the real agenda -- cutting taxes even more for ...
13) Sure, why wouldn't I take relationship advice from a some fourth-rate hack comedian whose greatest accomplishment is hosting Family Feud?
14) ... back to back to back Christmas movies airing on the Hallmark channel -- the fourth-rate ones starring people you've never seen before in your life.
15) Pay for a museum! $20 for a fourth rate VAG! Who ever heard of such a thing!!?
16) ... but he deserves some respect and a real analysis of his propositions rather than this fourth rate ironic rubbish.
17) Alas that is a hard thing to do and well beyond the fourth rate clowns that run all our political parties.
18) ... Science by stating that "if you recruit the second rate lecturers you will produce fourth rate undergraduates".
19) ... of the same land, would have to be considered as second, third or fourth rate citizens of the same country with No say whatsoever in the legislation.
20) Now I guess I am a third or fourth rate citizen because I smoke and deny human caused climate change.