"to get a handle on something"
to find a way to understand a situation in order to control it
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: The data set I am working on is enormous. I am not sure how I am going to manage to understand it well enough to do anything meaningful with it.
Colleague 2: Perhaps if you categorize the data into smaller sets, you will be able to get a handle on it?
Colleague 1: That's a good idea. I am sure that smaller sets will help me to see some connections that will at least allow me to get started to figure out what to do.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Have you got a handle on your job search?
Friend 2: I think I finally do. It took me days to understand that there are really three different types of jobs that I could apply for. Once I understood that, I made a plan to create three different resumes, one for each type of job.
Friend 1: Great. Good luck.
Getting a handle on the tricky situation of employees leaving early on Fridays, the manager instituted a new policy.
1) ... the categories are ambiguous, and so it has been hard to get a good handle on what's really out there.
2) Here are five tips to help you get a better handle on stress: ...
3) I took some personality and career assessments to get a better handle on my interests, skills, and values.
4) By understanding these differences you will get a better handle on what makes you tick and you can then decide what you want to do.
5) It's difficult to get a proper handle on the economics of rail because of its complexity.
6) The most important thing you can do is get a disciplined handle on your spending. # Debt's a symptom, not the problem.
7) ... management tips won't guarantee success, but they will help you get a solid handle on your project and ensure that you're doing all you can to make it ...
8) ... are running a webcast all about helping mid-size businesses get a true handle on their data and make better use of their IT budgets through improved optimisation.
9) This job improves daily, as I get a better handle on how to do it and how to make the most of this opportunity, ...
10) It took, however, reading the comments, to get a better handle on what was meant by " technique " as I'm a humanities student.
11) Things might change in either direction as we get a better handle on all the details.
12) ... programming is still a damn difficult thing to get a handle on.
13) ... without extending the analysis in this way, you can't get a handle on the false-positive rate of your detection hypothesis, ...
14) You've taken classes, got a handle on putting words together and you've written the most brilliant story in the world ...
15) As soon as she got a handle on it, she was brilliant. I mean, she locked into it within ...
16) I have pulled together 30 surprising stats to help marketers get a handle on this mis-understood demographic.
17) ... form impressions based on a summer college visit. It is hard to get a handle on the culture of a college without the students who are usually in attendance.
18) ... can better determine the issues between the two of you. Once you get a handle on the problem area, you will have a chance to work it out with ...
19) But the time has come to get a handle on our important data and plan for the worst case scenario.
20) ... of magnitude and structure. And that's something we're trying to get a handle on. What is that fundamental economic issue?