"to get a word in edgeways"
to insert oneself into a conversation or express one's opinion despite competition from other speakers
Related words and phrases:
Two parents are talking ...
Mother: Kathy got accepted to Harvard on a sports scholarship.
Father: That's awesome. She must be excited. Were you able to ask her about where she will live and if she will work part-time and those other details we talked about?
Mother: Kathy was talking so quickly and so excitedly that I could not get a word in edgeways.
Father: We'll let the excitement subside and then have a proper conversation with her.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: The boss fired me.
Colleague 2: I'm sorry to hear that. Were you able to explain your side of the story?
Colleague 1: From the moment I walked into his office, he was yelling and screaming and then fired me as he threw me out of his office. I couldn't get a word in edgeways.
Getting a word in edgeways when my grandfather is talking is difficult.
1) Why, the poor bugger could hardly get a word in edgeways and, by the end of it all, was literally reduced to silence.
2) You won't be able to get a word in edgeways. You'll politely listen, nod your head and silently plot your escape.
3) If you can't or won't let the interviewer get a word in edgeways, you are reducing the likelihood of getting the job.
4) If you constantly dominate the conversation and he can barely get a word in edgeways, you'll both get bored and jet.
5) ... you are so incorrigibly offensive and shouty that no-one else can get a word in edgeways.
6) She can't get a word in edgeways -- feels very strongly like a prepared statement.
7) ... a couple of occasions I had to cut him off to get a word in edgeways.
8) Trying to get a word in edgeways in this irrational emotionalism is an exercise in futility.
9) ... could barely keep up with her babble and I could not get a word in edgeways!
10) After a couple of attempts to get a word in edgeways, I stopped talking because he wasn't listening; he was lecturing.
11) ... interrupts you 82 times in one debate, hardly letting you get a word in edgeways, ...
12) ... he gets excited he talks rapidly and it's difficult to get a word in edgeways.
13) ... it can be tough for introverts to get a word in edgeways, ...
14) ... it seems everyone is talking at once. You can't get a word in edgeways; it's hard to have your voice heard.
15) Whenever I've tried to get a word in edgeways because no one is letting me speak, I get castigated for "interrupting".
16) ... yammer on at us about faith 24/7, we can't get a word in edgeways because somehow disagreeing with you is seen as insulting you.
17) I went to see my boss. Before I could get a word in edgeways, he fired me.
18) When she shut her trap long enough for me to get a word in edgeways, I told her she could stuff it where the sun don't shine.
19) So understandably it can be hard to get a word in edgeways at times. But I enjoy sitting back and taking in the craziness.
20) ... they probably talked a mile a minute and you had trouble getting a word in edgeways, but now a strange hush falls over the group when you are present.