"to get away with something"
to do something you shouldn't and avoid being caught and/or punished
Related words and phrases:
Two teenagers are talking about not going to school the following day ...
Teenager 1: Hey, do you want to play hooky from school tomorrow?
Teenager 2: That would be great. It's Friday tomorrow.
Teenager 1: How are we going to get away with it?
Teenager 2: We can ask a classmate to cover for us.
Teenager 1: It could work but I'll be in such big trouble if my mother catches wind.
Teenager 2: Don't worry! She will never find out.
Two friends are talking about the state of the economy ...
Friend 1: I don't understand what's going on.
Friend 2: What do you mean?
Friend 1: Prices keep going up and our wages remain the same and yet the government still raises taxes.
Friend 2: I hear ya! I don't know how the government gets away with it either.
Friend 1: Maybe it won't get away with it when the next election comes.
Friend 2: True enough! Perhaps the government will be voted out of office.
Getting away with stealing leaves a person feeling guilty.
1) This woman was taught by our rules that she could probably get away with a stupid stunt like this.
2) This would send the message that rapists can't get away with it.
3) Pretty much, she can get away with anything because of how she looks.
4) Here's what it means: you can't get away with much, and you don't fool them for long.
5) They take undemanding classes, do as little work as they can get away with, and take whatever grades they happen to get.
6) I understand that I let him get away with it for 4 years and I have to pay for my stupidity.
7) One thing I've discovered about head-hopping is that you can get away with it more at the end of a book than later.
8) The reason I'm not completely depressed is lots of small business can get away with ignoring the stupid regulations passed by the Obama administration.
9) This government will "print" as much money as it can possibly get away with until the consequences of its actions catch up to its irresponsible actions.
10) I am still astonished that any scientist could get away with such shoddy, misleading data.
11) You can't piggyback on another company's R &D; and expect to get away with it.
12) They will ask you to do anything they think they can get away with and your duties will expand the longer you stay with them.
13) Wow. Why would they let him get away with that?
14) If I thought I could get away with it, I'd hit her over the head with a rock.
15) You can only "make your own reality" for so long and get away with it.
16) You think you can get away with manipulating people on this forum?
17) We should not let the banks get away with being big bullies.
18) More and more, it appears that the fat cats will continue to get away with financial murder.
19) Many believed that she should not be allowed to get away with it.
20) The federal government will override state laws if they can get away with it.