"to get back at"
to punish somebody for doing something to you;
to take revenge
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: What happened in the meeting? Your partner blamed all the recent trouble on you.
Colleague 2: I know. That was a really terrible thing for my partner to do in front of the boss.
Colleague 1: Are you going to get revenge?
Colleague 2: Absolutely. I will find a way to get back at my partner.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: That sure is an interesting chat forum we got involved in.
Friend 2: I agree. Lots of fun and very interesting. There is just one problem. The moderator kicked me out of the forum.
Friend 1: Did you do anything wrong?
Friend 2: I didn't think so. I think the moderator was just being nasty. I sure wish there was a way to get back at him.
Friend 1: Maybe we can get all our friends to quit the forum in protest?
Getting back at someone who has done you wrong can be satisfying.
1) George Monbiot sounds like he was really offended by Busby and is trying to get back at him in his blog entry.
2) When the opportunity arises, Ludvik sadistically seduces Helena, in order to get back at her husband Zemanek.
3) Smith started the fire to get back at his ex-girlfriend, who lived in the building.
4) You want to get back at him because you are vengeful.
5) Dad would make me so mad at him that I'd try to get back at him and get beaten all the more.
6) Satirists are too often guilty of getting back at the enemies while claiming the privilege of free speech.
7) She looked inwards and saw Nature getting back at her, poisoning her body.
8) I closed my eyes and wondered if this was Tokyo's way of getting back at us for Hiroshima.
9) You'll simultaneously be getting back at the patriarchy AND helping the sisterhood - it's win-win all round.
10) Children often refuse as a way of getting back at their parents.
11) How are we to view Herzl in a scene where he gets back at his nagging if well-meaning mother with a cruel bit of honesty?
12) Well sorry Ghost face, that is when Karma gets back at you.
13) He calls to demand the new number, and Ra-im gets back at him by pulling the same stunt he pulled on her.
14) The timeshare affiliates messed with us but eventually we got back at them thanks to Safe Hands Transfers.
15) I used to curse the camera and it got back at me at every opportunity!
16) Because you didn't really forgive. You just got back at the person and feel satisfied that you've done so.
17) One purpose for Garcia being in the race appears to be to get back at Morales for defeating a candidate she backed.
18) Using your powers to get back at people you don't like?
19) I recall that I was trying to get back at the relative for her upsetting me but also out of boredom.
20) I will flatly deny it and get back at you in the most humiliating way possible.