"to get cracking"
to become motivated to action;
Related words and phrases:
It is a quarter to six, late on a Friday afternoon. Two coworkers are finishing up their work for the week when one coworker looks at the clock ...
"Hey, we better get cracking if we want to catch happy hour."
If the two coworkers don't hurry and leave soon, they will miss the cheap drinks at their local drinking establishment.
Ned and Grace are surveying the disaster in their living room. Their grandchildren have just departed after a weekend visit. As a result, Ned and Grace's living room is full of toys and games and is very messy.
Grace: Well, I suppose we should get cracking and get all this cleaned up.
Ned: OK. I want to catch the game on TV later. Let's get the job done!
Getting cracking often means that you can accomplish many tasks.
1) I get cracking when the job needs to get done.
2) You get cracking when there is a deadline.
3) He gets cracking when he is in a hurry.
4) She gets cracking in the mornings.
5) We get cracking when the end of the day is near.
6) You (all) get cracking before it rains.
7) They get cracking in order to finish the work.
8) No matter how stalled your life may seem, you can always get cracking!
9) The list goes on but right now it's time for me to get cracking -- I'm off to Strongman Sunday at the gym.
10) He'd really have to get cracking if he was to avoid getting pneumonia.
11) The reason the clowns need to get cracking is that it's 5bn higher than it was three months ago.
12) There aren't many junior roles around, so get cracking and email us.
13) The Germans had better get cracking in sorting their relations with foreign workers.
14) Well they better get cracking. Less than 90 minutes to actually pass any stop-gap legislation before midnight.
15) I would be OK in my T-shirt and shorts and we had to get cracking so as not to miss our impending lift to the airport.
16) He's going to have to get cracking. No time for a cup of tea.
17) AS-P needs to get cracking, and make it happen soon.
18) At that moment, Ted realizes that he had better get cracking if he too hopes to find true love.
19) I'm ready to get cracking and go try my hand at something new.
20) Shut the bus doors and the driver will get cracking.