"to get (a)hold of"
1) to obtain or gain possession of
2) to successfully make contact and communicate with someone
3) to gain control of
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: There is something strange going on with this quarter's figures. Would you have a look at them please?
Colleague 2: Sure. Oh yes. The same thing happened three years ago. We need to get hold of the accounting records from back then.
Colleague 1: I will phone down to the accounting department and see if they can find a copy and send it to us.
Colleague 2: Good. You will see when we have those reports that the issue is easily addressed.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I just called down to the accounting department and could not get hold of anyone.
Colleague 2: It is lunchtime. They must all be away from their desks.
Colleague 1: That would explain why I couldn't reach anyone.
Two students are talking ...
Student 1: How are you doing with calculus class?
Student 2: Not very well. I just can't seem to get ahold of differential equations.
Student 1: The concept is quite difficult to grasp. Let me give you a different study book. It explains the ideas much more clearly. I am sure that once you have studied it, you will understand differential equations.
Student 2: Thanks.
Getting ahold of the latest movie in the series was difficult.
Getting hold of my brother was a matter of calling him on the telephone.
Getting hold of this difficult mathematical problem will take some time.
1) I had to scramble to get hold of a device I hadn't used since at least 2008.
2) What the hell happened to you yesterday? I was trying to get hold of you all day.
3) Our problem is that we often can't get hold of a working phone number to reach anyone.
4) Fed up of reading reviews for stuff I couldn't get hold of. This was a slow and tedious hit and miss process.
5) So, suddenly, evolution ceases to be such a real problem to get hold of. It's rather like this: imagine, if you will, the ...
6) It uses several controversial methods to ensure its harder for thieves to get hold of personal information.
7) ... Rest of Calculus to break everything down to my level. I can get hold of the basic meaning and concepts of what is taught, ...
8) The important point to get hold of is that his strictures on bringing in empirical considerations apply only to what he ...
9) The company's object had been to get hold of all the outcrops on tropical islands and exploit them locally.
10) This legitimate whiskey was prized for its high quality, since unless people could get hold of smuggled Scotch, most of the other available whiskeys were roughly made and seldom ...
11) Why did we never see those comments? Anyone know how to get hold of that Lake Vaj guy who used to post here?
12) I haven't as of yet been able to get hold of these people but I did call my credit card company for credit.
13) If you can get hold of them, welder's goggles rated at 14 or higher will protect your vision.
14) ... they need to I have a problem with my account and I can not get hold of anyone or see how to fix it.
15) Does anyone know where i can get hold of these maps? Are they still in print?
16) Also, earlier out-of-print works that are presently hard to get hold of may be made available again.
17) ... fax and telex are generally reliable, though they can be difficult to get hold of.
18) When I learned we wouldn't be able to get ahold of his pass, we decided to forgo the movies.
19) You also want to get ahold of any companies that may be contacting you to make sure your new contact information ...
20) We need to outlaw caffeine, it's too easy to get ahold of these days.