"to get in the way"
to prevent something from happening
Related words and phrases:
A boss and employee are talking ...
Employee: I've found some really interesting statistics in the figures about last years sales. I was hoping that I could do some analysis on them.
Boss: And what about all your other duties?
Employee: I will get all my other work done. I won't let this new personal project get in the way of my regular work. In fact, I will work on this new project on my own time. I just need permission to access the company data.
Boss: That's fine. Go ahead. Good initiative.
Two parents are talking ...
Mom: It was great that you bought Junior a new computer.
Dad: It was on sale and I know he will really enjoy it.
Mom: I am a little worried that the computer will get in the way of Junior's other activities.
Dad: Then I suppose that we will need to limit Junior's computer time so that the computer doesn't interfere with his other activities.
Getting in the way of traffic while walking is a dangerous thing to do.
1) Don't let your debt get in the way of owning a home.
2) We can't let poorly thought out laws get in the way of the internet's development.
3) Apparently, it's always a shame when inconvenient facts get in the way of a perfectly good story.
4) Having poor overall health can get in the way and make recovery harder.
5) Do not let emotion get in the way of the facts.
6) What gets in the way of successful integration?
7) Good etiquette, unless it gets in the way, increases the probability of success.
8) Pressure for results gets in the way of creativity.
9) What people fail to realize is that, if nothing gets in the way of the joy, people really love learning.
10) Sometimes the fervor to be pseudo-environmental gets in the way of common sense.
11) The way to tell whether it is the software firewall getting in the way is by disabling it.
12) I feel that you have a slight problem that is getting in the way of our friendship.
13) When I started seeing my own addiction getting in the way of being a mom, I finally understood.
14) Is there a trend that is getting in the way of learning?
15) I do think it is easy to fall into the trap of getting in the way of your natural energy that allows things to just flow.
16) The grotesque facts never got in the way of Eric Hobsbawm's devotion to communism.
17) Then, of course, life got in the way and you put it off until you could find the time.
18) The facts got in the way of the narrative they wanted to tell.
19) I have grown lazy as our family has changed and our busy lifestyles have got in the way, I have increasingly relied on convenience food.
20) The campaign politics got in the way of him doing his work as a leader should.