"to go down swinging"
to continue to make a strong, determined effort even knowing that failure is likely;
to fight until the very end
Related words and phrases:
Two business partners are talking ...
Partner 1: I think we should just declare bankruptcy and close the doors.
Partner 2: No way! I will not quit without doing everything possible to keep our business running.
Partner 1: What can you do?
Partner 2: I can mortgage my house and sell my sports car. I will approach our suppliers and beg for more credit. I will go out and find more customers. I refuse to quit without fighting until it is absolutely over.
Partner 1: But you could lose everything.
Partner 2: I would rather go down swinging knowing that I did everything I possibly could.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Have you heard about Sam?
Friend 2: No. What happened?
Friend 1: As you know, Sam went off to attempt the most difficult climb of his life last week. We just got news that his body was found frozen to the side of the mountain. He continued to try climbing until the bitter end.
Friend 2: Poor Sam. But good to know that he went down swinging. He never was one to give up on anything.
Going down swinging is the sign of a true champion.
1) ... promised his side would go down swinging if this was to be their final involvement in the tournament.
2) ... its potential and become the nation's next multi-billion-dollar tech company -- or go down swinging in the attempt.
3) As for me, I prefer to win, or at least go down swinging.
4) ... there are no insurmountable challenges and that he wanted to go down swinging as he ages.
5) A theory is that certain bacterial species go down swinging, releasing nasty compounds that cause fever, rash and other symptoms.
6) He would rather go down swinging to the best pitchers than keep picking off the easy ones.
7) ... always remember that if you're going to fail, fail big and go down swinging.
8) I might get my butt kicked, but I'm going to go down swinging if that happens to me, I can tell you that.
9) Anyone can go down swinging, it takes true skill, courage and character to fight to stay alive.
10) ... it's nearly inevitable that you're going to lose, you can go down swinging, or you can adapt.
11) ... if they go down, they're going down swinging.
12) ... not be a hit, but, at the very least, it went down swinging for the fences in truly admirable ways.
13) ... at least went down swinging and their effort couldn't be faulted, particularly in defence.
14) ... was never going to leave the US Open without a struggle and went down swinging until the very end, falling 6-3 6-2 3-6 5-7 7-5.
15) The anti-legalization side knows he went down swinging in its favor ...
16) No shame in losing, as long as you went down swinging.
17) ... was unbowed in defeat as he went down swinging.
18) West concludes his long, non-rapping rant by saying that he'll go down swinging and wants to make a difference.
19) ... willpower and perseverance, trying to shove just one more bite of a hero into his mouth, doomed to fail but destined to go down swinging.
20) If you're going to lose, you want to lose to a good team and go down swinging.