"to go to pieces"
to fall apart physically or emotionally;
to lose your self-control
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: We have a real problem on Assembly Line 1.
Colleague 2: What's the issue?
Colleague 1: Well, you remember the stamping machine was always needing repair? It has now completely gone to pieces.
Colleague 2: So, we will repair it again.
Colleague 1: Not this time. It is beyond repair. It needs to be replaced.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I am getting really worried about Frank. He is going to pieces. He has quit his job and just sits around the house all day drinking beer. Whenever someone tries to console him, he just breaks down crying. I think he is seriously losing control of himself.
Friend 2: You would be distraught, too, if your wife and child had died in a car accident.
Going to pieces over the death of his wife, the man was so distraught that he quit his job.
1) I've seen too many young men who promised brilliantly go to pieces, fail through want of steadiness, too many high-power ideas, and not enough ...
2) ... they had automobiles, most of the farmers had let their old sleighs go to pieces.
3) Your lover is dead. In life you'd probably go to pieces. But on the stage you're trying to entertain.
4) ... are told that they have cancer. After the initial shock, some go to pieces and say, "why me?", while other people have a more ...
5) I think it was so brave of you not to let everything go to pieces last night.
6) ... personal denigration, even physical violence. I watched quite a few people go to pieces in my time there.
7) It shows that you're not the type of person who will go to pieces the first time your child spits up on the couch or knocks over your favourite ...
8) ... he might deliver, equally he might be crushed by the experience and go to pieces.
9) Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.
10) ... how you react under pressure. Do you keep calm or do you go to pieces?
11) ... financially, and emotionally I need the routine of work or I'll go to pieces.
12) Oh we're all human beings, it's silly to go to pieces over a celebrity.
13) Whole families can seem to go to pieces when there is a son or daughter using drugs or alcohol.
14) ... when someone from the top management quits, the company doesn't go to pieces.
15) After his wife died he just went to pieces.
16) If somebody instead of praising them even slightly criticizes them, they go to pieces.
17) When men reach their sixties and retire, they go to pieces. Women go right on cooking.
18) The important thing to remember is not to go to pieces when that happens. You have to react like a man, calmly.
19) I have heard that in America businessmen often go to pieces when they give up the business that has been their life.
20) If the time ever comes when we shall go to pieces, it will... be... from inward corruption.