"to grab the bull by the horns"
to manage a situation or problem using strength and determination;
to take charge of a situation, usually forcefully and with vigor, often with the accompanying responsibility
Related words and phrases:
Johnny is a 14 year old teenage boy. His bedroom is a mess. There are dirty dishes and dirty clothes everywhere.
"Johnny needs to grab the bull by the horns."
Johnny needs to decide to get to work and clean his room. He needs to take charge in a forceful way and determine to get the job done.
The factory floor is in total disarray. The machines need repairs. The workers are not working efficiently. They are taking longer and longer coffee breaks. Nobody is sweeping and taking out the garbage. Nobody is taking charge of the situation. The supervisor thinks to himself...
"I want to grab the bull by the horns. I want to organize and increase the production of this factory, not to mention safety"
The supervisor is not sure if he should take charge. He is unsure if his manager will approve. He is not sure if he has enough respect and authority over the workers. Therefore, the supervisor only wants to grab the bull by the horns.
Grabbing the bull by the horns requires determination and courage.
1) It takes courage to' grab the bull by the horns' and frame questions directly around that topic, inviting visitors to elaborate further.
2) It takes a great player to grab the bull by the horns and make things happen, but he has done it repeatedly.
3) The world needs to grab the bull by the horns and have a serious look at birth control, one child policies, etc.
4) I suppose there's nothing else for it but to grab the bull by the horns and keep fighting for what we really want.
5) This season is the season where he needs to grab the bull by the horns as they say and go for it.
6) However, this bunch of girls decided to grab the bull by the horns, ignore the negative connotations and enjoy what they like.
7) This minister need to grab the bull by the horns and make the armed forces relevant in 21st century.
8) I'm disappointed because they still won't grab the bull by the horns and wrestle with it.
9) Now is the time to grab the bull by the horns and go for it!
10) It gives the business community confidence that the government intends to grab the bull by the horns and do what needs to be done
11) Grab the bull by the horns! I learned early in life that the most effective way in dealing with bullies is face them head on.
12) The best way to do this is to grab the bull by the horns and deal with the issue.
13) If someone doesn't grab the bull by the horns and pull back, we'll be tumbling over that edge real soon.
14) But do I need to do what I fear and grab the bull by the horns? Or is it true -- am I rushing into things?
15) Mike wants A-rod to grab the bull by the horns and take over.
16) Here are some tips on how to grab the bull by the horns when you're looking for a job.
17) I say grab the bull by the horns and meet him face to face somewhere.
18) Take a deep breath and face the problem directly by grabbing the bull by the horns and then pulling it to the ground.
19) She could grab the bull by the horns and act like a Labor leader in government.
20) This is an amazing opportunity and it's time to grab the bull by the horns.