a reaction based on instinct or feeling rather than logical analysis
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Why did you stop the production line yesterday? That's going to cost the company a lot of money in down time.
Colleague 2: It was a gut reaction. My subconscious just screamed at me to do it.
Colleague 1: But what was your rational thought process?
Colleague 2: There wasn't one. I just knew there was something wrong.
Colleague 1: Interesting that after we quality-checked some of the stock, it turned out that there was indeed a slight defect.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I can't believe that you ran into that burning airplane to save those people.
Friend 2: Me neither. It was just a gut reaction. I didn't really think of the danger. Instinct just kicked in and I had to help.
Friend 1: Good for you. Now you are a hero.
There is no gerund form for gut reaction.
1) A lot of people initially have that gut reaction because the word 'hate' is so charged.
2) When you're choosing a role, it has to be your own gut reaction so I don't generally ask her about ...
3) I had an immediate gut reaction to this woman, and it was not good.
4) ... too demonstrative. It's not really a cerebral reaction, it's more a gut reaction.
5) But in other cases, the gut reaction may prove right, but your brain can toy with you, and convince ...
6) ... understandable and human, but it's also not fair, and with time that gut reaction should subside for anyone with even a tiny sliver of compassion.
7) ... no strategy, no clear Plan B, and it based its decision on a gut reaction more than on a clear evaluation of ...
8) When you don't take the time to define your problems, your gut reaction will be to throw money at a problem.
9) He has asked me to be the best man and my gut reaction was to say no -- I don't know how I could make a ...
10) There's a personal loss. I had a gut reaction on a personal level.
11) There was indeed a gut reaction to the cliffhanger by some people. I think after that shock wore off ...
12) ... that the government is "looking to make a point" based on a "gut reaction" rather than evidence.
13) ... reason will melt away and the choice will boil down to a gut reaction.
14) There's an immediate gut reaction that it's the husband.
15) Trust your gut reaction and don't over-think this.
16) ... common sense and vote on what they know of the candidates and not just on gut reaction.
17) I definitely work really hard now to control my gut reaction.
18) I'll first acknowledge that my gut reaction to statute of limitation laws has always been one of revulsion.
19) When a credit card company offers to boost your limit, your gut reaction may be to reject it.
20) Officers should be judged by the legal process, not the gut reaction people have when they view a video.