something (usually an article of clothing) that has been used and then given to someone else (usually a younger sibling);
of inferior quality
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I heard you got your own office.
Colleague 2: I did.
Colleague 1: Must be nice to have your own office.
Colleague 2: I suppose I shouldn't complain but the office is full of old hand-me-down furniture that looks like it is leftovers from the seventies.
Colleague 1: I suppose used and shabby is better than nothing.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Is your family poor?
Friend 2: Yes. We are very poor. Why do you ask?
Friend 1: Because you are always wearing hand-me-downs.
Friend 2: I am the youngest of four brothers so I always get my older brothers' clothes when they outgrow them.
There is no gerund form for hand-me-down.
1) ... nicer televisions than I do, which they paid for themselves (mine is a hand-me-down my Dad gave me).
2) My boyfriend and I moved to the floor from our crappy hand-me-down mattress several months ago.
3) The savings result from hand-me-down clothes and toys, shared bedrooms and buying food in larger quantities.
4) Okay so no one likes hand-me-down clothing or having to eat chicken this and chicken that 365 days out of the ...
5) ... trademark outfit of the black snap-brim fedora and the leather coat came from a local hand-me-down store in the neighborhood where they were filming.
6) My granddaughter received 2 hand-me-down dresses with awful orange looking stains on them.
7) She wore the same brown-checked Chinese dress until the Refugee Welcome Society gave her two hand-me-down dresses, ...
8) ... just came to camp with their dads, just like I did. They wore hand-me-down clothes, just like I did. And they got picked on and teased by ...
9) My wife gets my hand-me-down iPhones.
10) ... and I've never owned one. Almost everything in my house is a hand-me-down of some sort or another. My computers are all second hand, ...
11) Even though it was a hand-me-down with 200k miles, it was still pretty cool. Leather seats, sunroof, ...
12) ... generous family, friends and colleagues more than half of Liam's wardrobe consists of hand-me-down clothes.
13) I just this Christmas got a hand-me-down Toyota Camry from my mom.
14) ... on the list to have include a decent piece of furniture that isn't a hand-me-down, something to wear in case your dream employer wants to see you in an ...
15) She learned to sew, which came in handy for repairing hand-me-down clothing.
16) ... so cranberry cupcake stuffing might just become your hand-me-down recipe.
17) My father, the youngest of seven children, was lucky to get hand-me-down shoes to wear, but nonetheless my grandparents fed and housed an ever-evolving array of ...
18) The young barefoot boys in torn hand-me-down overalls, were like me and the pictures of the families living in half dugouts ...
19) I have transformed blank walls, thrift store finds, and hand-me-down furniture with a little paint and creativity.
20) On her desktop, a pen set sat on the old leather blotter, a hand-me-down from her dad's office.