a difficulty that can be overcome with effort
Related words and phrases:
a term served in a maximum security prison
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: How are you doing after the lay off?
Friend 2: Not so well. It's really difficult to find another job.
Friend 1: Sorry to hear that you are having a hard time finding work. Keep trying. Something will come up.
Two police officers are talking ...
Officer 1: How was your court appearance?
Officer 2: It went really well. The accused was found guilty of murder and sentenced to twenty-five years in a maximum security prison.
Officer 1: It's great that criminals like that must do hard time.
There is no gerund form for hard time.
1) ... had a stroke -- at middle age. Because of it I had a hard time doing laundry, and a hard time tracking money.
2) I think autistic kids have a very hard time accepting anything but their own experiences as their teachers.
3) If I take a nap I have a hard time falling asleep that night.
4) Officials say returning veterans have a hard time coming down off the adrenaline rush of war.
5) Definitely true that rich white people have a really hard time breaking into entertainment.
6) My husband has a real hard time with someone dictating what he sells a product or service for.
7) If you find yourself having a hard time mustering up the gumption to break up with her, here's something to ...
8) Consumers have a hard time comparing loans when they are dealing with a bewildering array of points and fees.
9) I've offered to help move friends to Bolivia who are having a hard time getting there on their own.
10) Because so many of us have a hard time apologizing, I thought it might be helpful to have an apology primer.
11) The fact that everyone seems to have a hard time replicating the OPs problem so far would point to defective headphones.
12) You say you're having a hard time telling the people who love and support you that you have a problem?
13) I had a hard time getting up the stairs into Planet Hollywood but I made it.
14) I had no idea what a hard time I would have taking photos of the room where I work.
15) Bette has a hard time adjusting to the ascetic lifestyle at the Buddhist retreat in snowy upstate Washington.
16) I confess I have a hard time believing such out-sized numbers.
17) I have a hard time seeing how china can cut its dollar exposure in a global context where it ...
18) I had depression and begun running. I noticed that I have a hard time focusing and absorbing information. I forgot a lot of things.
19) I was having a hard time falling asleep and finally started to doze... then it happened, the alarm ...
20) But I'm finding that I'm having a hard time working up any emotions about this whole thing at all.