"to have a handle on"
to be in control of a situation;
to understand something well
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: We are going to have some trouble in the warehouse today. We have more orders to ship than we have drivers and trucks.
Colleague 2: No problem. I've got a handle on the situation. I was reviewing today's orders last night and saw that we were going to have a problem so I called in two relief drivers. They are going to stop on their way in to pick up the two commercial trucks I rented.
Colleague 1: Excellent. Good to see you have the situation under control.
Two students are talking ...
Student 1: Are you ready for tomorrow's big algebra exam?
Student 2: I think I understand the math well enough.
Student 1: Well, I sure hope you have a good handle on the math. Professor Smith is notorious for giving really difficult final exams.
Student 2: Here comes an all night study session.
Having a handle on her expenses, she was able to stay within her budget.
1) After dozens of interviews, you can't help but have a firm handle on the product's features, functionality... even it's quirks.
2) ... you have better control over emotional responses, you are sure to have a better handle on anxiety as well.
3) Today media campaigns are being orchestrated by twenty somethings that have a deeper handle on social media than the Old-Boys-Club will ever have.
4) I still don't have a clear handle on what I'm doing but I do know that music is an essential part ...
5) Sounds like certain banks have a good handle on their internal processes, and that their auditors have verified same, ...
6) ... said he and his client will not make that decision until they have a better handle on the Crown's case.
7) ... many investors may simply be overpaying for liquidity, and very few have a firm handle on the true numbers.
8) Having been playing games for over 20 years, I believe I have a reasonable handle on what I'll enjoy long before reviews are ever published.
9) Often, your undergraduate and graduate professors and advisers will have a better handle on the specific information the admissions committee wants than would a supervisor from outside the ...
10) I knew then that Tedford did not have a good handle on the team.
11) Regardless of organization, no one seems to have a confident handle on running their business.
12) We have a good handle on costs that pollution from fossil fuels imposes on society.
13) A top CEO should have a better handle on his business.
14) ... start to realize what I don't understand, and what I have a good handle on.
15) ... ballpark figure can come back to bite you if you don't have a real handle on the amount of work to be done.
16) ... being a local company that can potentially better target local content and have a better handle on how that local content is consumed.
17) We will need many more decades of research before we'll have a decent handle on what drives climate and whether CO2 is a problem.
18) I am already feeling like I have a better handle on things.
19) After all, as practitioners of the craft I'm sure they have the best handle on what is and isn't Christian.
20) ... don't know about because they're more advanced. If you have a strong handle on SEO, check out these other ways that you can implement stronger SEO tactics.