"to have a lump in your throat"
to have a tight or uncomfortable feeling in your throat as a result of feeling that you are about to cry due to an intense emotional response to something
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: How was your daughter's graduation?
Friend 2: I have to tell you that I was just so very proud of her. When she got up on stage I had a lump in my throat.
Friend 1: I hope you didn't embarrass her by crying.
Friend 2: No, I wouldn't do that to her but I will admit to a tear running down my cheek.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Hard to believe that the boss almost showed some emotion as her retirement party.
Colleague 2: I think when the president made his speech and complimented the boss on her amazing career and contribution to the company that the boss had a lump in her throat.
Colleague 1: I was waiting for the sobs.
Having a lump in your throat as you watch your daughter graduate is only natural.
1) ... and even now every time when my grand-daughter says “I love you Nan” I have a lump in my throat, ...
2) Any American who didn't have a lump in the throat listening to her emotional words has lost touch with what “pursuit of happiness” means.
3) Be prepared to have a lump in your throat as we catch up with three of the Born to Be Different children in the first of two programmes.
4) Even as I am writing this review, I still have a lump in my throat. Such is the power of humanity, kindness and good cinema.
5) So intense that I still have a lump in my throat when I recall that moment. I instantly started sobbing, from pain, shock, confusion and fear.
6) "I must admit I did have a lump in my throat," he says. "It's every chef's dream to achieve a Michelin star."
7) ... my eye at the end along with shedding a few on the way, so grab this book, curl up on the couch and prepare to have a few lump-in-your-throat moments too.
8) I still have a lump in my throat from all of the emotion felt while watching it.
9) All of us have a lump in our throat when we do this concert. It does give you pause and makes you count your blessings and makes you hope ...
10) That was utterly breathtaking... l have a lump in my throat the size of a rock and my eyes are leaking.
11) When it is released nationwide in late January, I think even the most hardened will likely shed tears (more than once), have a lump in the throat, ...
12) When the first trailer came out and you had Han Solo saying, 'We're home,' I don't think any 'Star Wars' fan didn't have a lump in his throat or a ...
13) This is a touching story and you can see the video above. I warn you you might have a lump in your throat by the end.
14) ... her young son, who is dressed in a little Navy uniform, descends the stairs in front of the flag, it is impossible not to have a lump in your throat.
15) Bills fans all over the country had to have a lump in their throat for that extremely emotional moment.
16) Even the most hard-hearted of men must surely have felt a lump in his throat watching ...
17) It's hard not to have a lump in the throat when you look around at the crowd of 16,000 waving arms in unison, each voice belting out every word ...
18) I expect that will send a real shiver up my spine and I already have a lump in my throat when I think about it.
19) Expect to have a lump in your throat the last 20 minutes and to let go of a few tears at the end.
20) I have a lump in my throat just thinking about it, because the way she sings that song is without a doubt coming from personal experience.