"to have the last laugh"
to prove ultimately successful especially after being scorned or regarded as a failure
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Do you remember Miriam who was fired last year because management thought she was too aggressive and that her ideas were useless?
Colleague 2: Sure. I liked Miriam. Why do you ask?
Colleague 1: I just discovered that she was hired by our competitor for twice the salary she made here.
Colleague 2: I guess Miriam has the last laugh.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Everyone is criticizing me for quitting my job and opening my own business.
Friend 2: Don't worry. You will have the last laugh when you become tremendously rich and successful.
Having the last laugh can make the feeling of success all that much sweeter.
1) Bullied because of her height growing up, she had the last laugh when she won a major Chinese modeling comp and her career took off.
2) When she refused, Archie got his revenge but Sam had the last laugh when she took the villain's money and fled.
3) ... well-aimed kick on poor Frank's face. Frank had the last laugh, though. He turned the video into a money-spinner with licensing deals.
4) But Sansa had the last laugh: She sent Ramsay's starving dogs into the cell with him so they could ...
5) ... they asked how medieval studies would ever be useful. I've had the last laugh, as my latest book, The Monstrous Child, is based on Norse mythology ...
6) ... might laugh at the guidebook wielding tourists, but they just might have the last laugh when it doubles as a weapon.
7) But before we rush to bury him, he could yet have the last laugh.
8) ... the 1990s became a caricature of the unsuccessful political candidate, may have the last laugh by winning a Senate seat in Queensland.
9) They may be mocked as "tightarses", but they have the last laugh when it comes to savings. They rarely splash out on luxuries, preferring instead ...
10) ... again you idiots, you won't win. I will always have the last laugh. "Soon you will be burned out and you will be homeless too ...
11) German-made moti has made critics zip their mouths. She's definitely having the last laugh!
12) ... stick from certain sections of the media, but Adams is clearly having the last laugh, as he now approaches his fifth decade as a recording artist.
13) ... was her appearance that got everyone talking, but now she's having the last laugh and looks better than ever.
14) But you're having the last laugh on them. Because you're still standing.
15) ... this is what she decided to be and she is having the last laugh in spite of the criticism or backlash thrown at her.
16) ... friends laughed at him but he persisted and today guess who has the last laugh? The billionaire who bounced back.
17) ... it be on the big screen or the small screen, Dileep has the last laugh as his act spells success at the turnstiles.
18) Nordy has the last laugh. He has developed a beautiful forest park with a lot of money-making possibilities.
19) M-Net always has the last laugh with its jaw-dropping high viewership figures.
20) ... been too hard on them at school. But the noble geek has the last laugh. Computer science students topped a league table of graduate salaries with those leaving ...