"to have to hand it to someone"
to recognize, respect and give credit to someone who has done something successful or skillful
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I really didn't think Terry could do it but he started with five thousand dollars and has grown a very successful business in only one year.
Friend 2: Without a doubt, you have to hand it to him. It's quite an accomplishment.
Friend 1: I'm impressed. Maybe we should throw him a party.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: It's hard to believe but after only five years, Rebecca has risen from the mail room to become the company's first senior vice-president of marketing.
Colleague 2: You have to hand it to her for her hard work and dedication.
Colleague 1: Absolutely.
There is no gerund form for have to hand it to someone.
1) You have to hand it to John Turner, he is a man of great integrity.
2) So I have to hand it to chef Normand Laprise for continuing to lead by example where it counts, ...
3) I have to hand it to Macaulay Culkin in completely terrifying me from finding lost step-brothers.
4) You have to hand it to Oprah and her team, they know what their audience is asking for.
5) You have to hand it to them, though. They certainly know how to exploit the system.
6) I have to hand it to Home Depot, their 90 day return policy covered my outdoor gas grill ...
7) Still, you have to hand it to those PR folks who could convince otherwise intelligent folks to pay big money ...
8) Even if he seemed a little high on himself at times, you have to hand it to lab stand-in Clark Edison for working so hard just to demote himself.
9) So at the debate tonight... I have to hand it to Eric, he wasted no time and came out swinging and called out ...
10) I do have to hand it to Seattle though, he takes a beating and keeps coming back for more ...
11) Well I think you have to hand it to the Americans, they really know how to kick it to those terrorists.
12) I have to hand it to you, you are right about everyone taking it easy on Toyota.
13) I have to hand it to President Obama and the Senate. They are trying to end taxes!
14) I have to hand it to them for trying and succeeding in making a credible system.
15) ... you have to agree that this is an amazing development, and you have to hand it to George Lucas for letting go of his legacy like this.
16) You have to hand it to the FBI. Great job guys.
17) But I have to hand it to them, the game is way fun and entertaining!
18) I have to hand it to Carson, he has really showed he can lead an offense once again.
19) Whatever you say about banks, you have to hand it to them for turning a profit in this climate.
20) That said, as much as I despise Reid and Pelosi I have to hand it to them. They outsmart McConnell and Boehner on every turn.