"hell to pay"
serious trouble or problems as a result of an action
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking on a Friday afternoon ...
Colleague 1: Are you leaving for the day? It is only two o'clock and you haven't finished your work.
Colleague 2: I don't care. The boss is not around and I want to leave early.
Colleague 1: There will be hell to pay on Monday morning.
Colleague 2: That's OK. I'll deal with the repercussions then. For now, it is the weekend!
A mother and son are talking ...
Mother: I thought I asked you to clean your room yesterday?
Son: I forgot. I was really busy.
Mother: You clean your room this morning before your grandmother comes to visit or there will be hell to pay.
Son: OK, Mom. I don't want to be in trouble. I'll clean my room right now.
Mother: Good boy.
There is no gerund form for hell to pay.
1) They catch any tampering with it, there is hell to pay.
2) ... you put him in a bad humour and get him started -- there'll be hell to pay.
3) ... there'd be hell to pay if they bombed Melbourne with a space rock!
4) ... scheme would fail, 100% certain, and when it did there would be real hell to pay.
5) ... in his way, he can not complete his bombing run and there will be hell to pay.
6) ... lazy that you can't even get the already-known facts-at-your-fingertips right, there will be hell to pay for that sloth.
7) If an engineer or surgeon made a similar mistake, there would be hell to pay.
8) ... better have those units in the south range repaired be midday or there'll be hell to pay!
9) If we do not turn things around soon there will be hell to pay.
10) ... the verge of collapse, and when it does collapse there is going to be hell to pay on the streets of America.
11) If these records become known after the election and he wins there will be hell to pay.
12) Eventually you get to the point that there's hell to pay if that money doesn't show up.
13) When the house of cards does come crashing down, there is going to be hell to pay.
14) ... if the developer and users' interpretations of the terms differ, there could be hell to pay.
15) If this development doesn't reverse course, we all will have hell to pay.
16) ... something you had to adapt to and accept as a small child--because there'd be hell to pay, if you didn't! Dominating, ruthless parents can make a ...
17) ... ones who opposed us will get what they deserve. There is going to be hell to pay.
18) But if she makes one step out of line in dance class there is hell to pay.
19) In my day it was the kid who had hell to pay for bad grades and reports of bad behavior, now most parents think ...
20) ... they're running here on out with CK and it flops? There will be hell to pay.