"hit and miss"
unplanned or random;
equally likely to succeed or fail
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I need to take a day off to help a friend move. Do you think the boss will give me a day off?
Colleague 2: That is hard to say. It's going to be hit and miss. The way the boss decides these things seems almost random. We haven't quite figured it out yet but it does seem dependent on the time of day, how busy the office is and the mood the boss is in. But, good luck anyways.
Two friends are playing a video game ...
Friend 1: Do you think I am ready to take on the boss in this level?
Friend 2: Sure. Why not? It doesn't seem to matter how prepared you are or how many weapons you have, defeating the boss seems to be a matter of hit-and-miss.
Friend 1: So, I could get lucky and beat the boss?
Friend 2: Sure. You could also lose. I'd say it is a fifty-fifty proposition. Go for it!
There is no gerund form for hit and miss.
1) Celebrity bio-pics are very hit and miss, but once in a great while a really good one comes along.
2) Be warned that many PR firms can be quite hit and miss with their promotions and even some of the "successes" may not stick around ...
3) Planning a trip that includes finding caches was hit and miss at best and took a lot of work.
4) ... but whether the government decides to tack on customs is hit and miss. Kind of comes with the territory of ordering from overseas companies.
5) ... if it was a guaranteed situation but it's not. It's hit and miss.
6) Modern Indie films are generally hit and miss, but we occasionally get a gem in the bunch.
7) Obviously it's hit and miss hoping that 10, 11 or 12 year olds show up to work everyday.
8) Without that theoretical knowledge, the approach to good ID can be hit and miss.
9) Bing maps has been hit and miss, especially with a moving car. Sometimes it tracks me, sometimes it does not.
10) ... have tons of awesome outlets and bargain hunting spots. They can be hit and miss and you definitely have to dig to find treasures but I've found some really ...
11) ... those other companies we stuck taxpayer money in was just a case of hit and miss... you win some... you lose some.
12) Obviously consignment shopping in general is hit and miss, but you may just find yourself in luck.
13) Past implementations of this at an OS level have been a bit hit and miss with some file systems supporting an ad.
14) Sims games before, from my experience, Sims has either been a hit and miss deal. You either like it or you don't.
15) On the contrary medicine itself is a hit and miss. Medicine provides many different treatments until they find something that works.
16) I will throw out as many solutions as I can, whether hit and miss until I can determine a possible solution that fits.
17) Service is a hit and miss... but mostly miss. I'd say it's mediocre at best.
18) The service can be hit and miss, depending on how busy it is.
19) Nutrition will become more calculated; it's hit and miss with them right now.
20) ... waited for the caribou to come to me, which is a very hit and miss exercise. One thing is important when viewing caribou especially in the winter is that ...