"to hit the ceiling" (things)
a statistic or number that rises very quickly to an unpredicted incredibly high value
Related words and phrases:
"to hit the ceiling" (people)
to become very angry
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Do you remember those penny stocks we bought last year for ten cents a share?
Friend 2: Oh, ya! I hadn't thought of those for a long time.
Friend 1: I checked the price of the stock this morning. You'll never believe what's happened. The price has increased to fifteen dollars and twenty cents a share.
Friend 2: You've got to be kidding me.
Friend 1: No! The stock price has hit the ceiling.
Two coworkers are talking about their boss ...
Worker 1: I am just so angry.
Worker 2: Why is that?
Worker 1: You know that I have been working on a big project for weeks now ...
Worker 2: Yes. And?
Worker 1: I have been keeping the boss informed for every part of the project. When I finally finished the project and showed it to her, she rejected half of it and told me to redo those parts. Why couldn't she have told me when I talked to her about each step before I went ahead and did all that work?
Worker 2: You must be very upset.
Worker 1: I feel like I'm going to hit the ceiling!
Hitting the ceiling can be bad for your health.
1) Everyone else hit the ceiling, except Daddy. He got really quiet and started balling and unballing his fists.
2) If the share value at the time you exercise your option has hit the ceiling, it's a lot like winning the lottery - just without the risk.
3) I bet you are one of those people who would hit the ceiling if a man generalized about women.
4) Never have I seen a crowd of shy anime fans hit the ceiling with such energy!
5) But I feel walking home alone is simply not safe. She will hit the ceiling if I put my foot down and it will cause a big issue.
6) If somebody did that to me now, I'd hit the ceiling.
7) I confronted her about it, didn't hit the ceiling but wanted an explanation and all she could reply was "I don't know."
8) Star magazine have claimed that 36-year-old Ryan hit the ceiling when he thought that his wife had got too close to her ex.
9) The recession has caused Bingham's figures to hit the ceiling. He's living the dream.
10) I get the feeling he'd hit the ceiling if he came to pick up my son dressed in a floral frock!
11) He, believe it or not recommended a laserjet... I nearly hit the ceiling!
12) What happened to the bookkeeper? I hit the ceiling and she got fired, obviously.
13) Now it was his turn to hit the ceiling, What are you doing?!!
14) Her father -- with patience at its limit -- hit the ceiling and began laying down the law about picking up her mess.
15) If you lose your temper and get very angry, you hit the ceiling.
16) But all these companies' share prices hit the ceiling as soon as they got the coal mine assets.
17) Worse still, the interest rates on bank loans have recently hit the ceiling due to inflation.
18) Mention the word nagging to any woman and they will hit the ceiling.
19) At a time when food prices have hit the ceiling, any measure to limit domestic production should raise concerns.
20) The number of visitors to my site have hit the ceiling!