"to hold the fort"
to look after something while the person or people who are usually responsible are away
Related words and phrases:
A husband and wife, who are vacationing with their five children in a remote cabin, are talking ...
Wife: We need some groceries and supplies.
Husband: The nearest town is an hour's drive away. Shall we pack up the kids in the car and make the trip?
Wife: I think it would be easier if the kids and I just stay here and you go and get the supplies.
Husband: You'll be OK holding down the fort, then?
Wife: Absolutely. No problem. Here's the list. Off you go.
Two colleagues who work in a travel agency are talking ...
Colleague 1: I really need to run a few errands.
Colleague 2: No problem. It's pretty quiet today.
Colleague 1: I won't be more than an hour.
Colleague 2: Sure. Off you go. I'll hold the fort while you're away.
Colleague 1: Thanks.
Holding down the fort can often be a solitary experience.
1) But when he fails to turn up, under-age and overworked Megan must hold the fort.
2) It was always the non smoker who had to hold the fort, whilst the smokers spent A LOT of time socializing.
3) He's heading to Kurdistan right now, my job is to hold the fort.
4) The worst sort of substitute teachers were brought in to hold the fort during a labour dispute.
5) Outside, a larger group of protesters were trying to hold the fort, but eventually, the riot squad was able to gain control.
6) He could be counted on to hold the fort when needed.
7) Some one will have to hold the fort soon as I am off to the pub to drink a black and tan.
8) It fell to the Deputy First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, to hold the fort in the weekly showdown with the opposition parties.
9) Okay. You people sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning.
10) I thought I would ask a few of my favourite bloggers to hold the fort while I'm away.
11) We need a non-party technical administration to hold the fort while the people have their say on the four-year plan.
12) I have to hold the fort while she's gone for the course we teach, but that's no problem.
13) I called in sick, while I asked Bilawal to hold the fort.
14) While my husband was away, I struggled to work, hold the fort down, and find a baby sitter.
15) Rest as long as you want and need, while others try to hold the fort.
16) You will need to organise someone to hold down the fort while you're away.
17) I guess I'm just trying to hold down the fort and keep it alive or whatever.
18) Erik stayed behind to hold down the fort and start prepping for garlic planting.
19) He was supposed to hold down the fort for a few months till the Stanford accounting guy arrives.
20) They can be someone to chat with, or to hold down the fort while you grab a sandwich for lunch or visit the restroom.