"(to be) in a black mood"
to be irritable and/or angry and/or depressed
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: How's the boss doing this morning after our share prices plummeted sixty-five percent last night?
Colleague 2: Much as you might expect. He's in a very bad mood.
Colleague 1: Judging from the look of him, he's in a very black mood.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I heard Tony's wife left him. How's he doing?
Friend 2: Terribly. He is very depressed and irritable. He's snapping at everyone.
Friend 1: Well, then, we need to do something to help him out of his black mood.
Being in a black mood, I was irritable with my children.
1) Everyone I talk to is in a black mood about the closure of Bowater Mersey.
2) Ferguson has apparently been in a black mood in the three days since the defeat to Spurs.
3) I tend to be in a black mood for several hours.
4) ... and for the first five of them he remained in a black mood. He was in most matters a mild-tempered person.
5) ... which, if you're already in a black mood and drowning in tedium, will probably not help matters.
6) Haegr deduces his location because whenever Ragnar is in a black mood, you can find him in the most unpleasant place where he could put himself.
7) But the black mood of the replete dyspeptic had come upon him. His soul darkened hopelessly.
8) ... they've been some dark times, and many a foul and black mood took me.
9) ... they always took out their bad mood on their boss. But the black mood doesn't last long with most people saying their frostiness had thawed by 8.15am.
10) ... I'll never get back to work "); the black mood that is depression's "centrepiece"; and the insomnia.
11) My black mood only lifted with the arrival of Mariah Carey to pre-tape a performance of her new ...
12) Given his black mourning dress and generally black mood, it's not a tremendous stretch to consider it a possibility that Haines is ...
13) After a few hours by myself, a black mood descends, and I start to panic, thinking I'll be alone forever.
14) I needed some good news to counter my black black mood.
15) ... does bore me so. But I thank you for trying to relieve my black mood.
16) ... the other end of the phone is working herself up into a black, black mood. She finds the whole holiday season overwhelming and depressing.
17) Losing her job put her in the blackest of moods.
18) When his father died, he was in a black mood.
19) Days of euphoria are almost always followed by a slump into a black mood.
20) A black mood is inevitable when times are tough.