"(to be) in the black"
to be in the situation of earning more money than you are spending
Related words and phrases:
Two business partners are talking ...
Partner 1: I just finished processing month-end and I am happy to report that after being in business only six months, we made a profit this month.
Partner 2: That's great news. What a relief to be in the black.
A husband and wife are talking ...
Husband: It's great that you went back to work. We had been spending more than we were bringing in and our savings account was diminishing. Now we have enough extra money to start building our savings again.
Wife: Maybe now that our household expenses are back in the black we can go out to eat once in a while.
Husband: Of course.
Being in the black, a couple decided to go out to a fancy restaurant.
1) It is a good sign that things are back in the black. Their earnings were even better.
2) The young performer is certainly in the black: Forbes estimates Gaga earned $52 million between May 2011 and May 2012.
3) Inheriting a federal budget in the black and CBO forecast for a $5.6 trillion surplus over 10 years, President George W. ...
4) ... which, by the way would have kept us close to being in the black if the current Governor had not rescinded it ($3.5 billion a year).
5) With these changes alone, the Postal Service would be back in the black and posting profits.
6) ... is that they've struggled to be profitable when analysts first expected quarters in the black.
7) We expect to end up about $210,000 in the black at the end of this fiscal year.
8) This movie is already in the black. It has recouped 110% of it's production costs in the first weekends' ...
9) I could have sworn they said GM was in the black and they'd paid us our money back like the banks did.
10) We need to meet these fundraising goals to stay in the black.
11) The owner says the store has been in the black since it opened in 2008 and that you can make $4,180 a month in income ...
12) ... but the bean counters saying they're back in the black two years from now on the basis of circulation revenue.
13) Even facing the headwinds of rising fuel costs, Sun Country has stayed in the black. Two years ago, when the airline turned an operating profit of $14.5 million ...
14) In fact rather than receiving subsidy the nuke industry is $80B in the black subsidizing the federal government with funds that will never be used.
15) Newsrooms continued to shrink as companies, and to remain in the black, felt the need for more rounds of cost reductions.
16) Also, I strongly suspect that Google's mobile OS department was in the black -- based on ad revenue generated by handsets.
17) Had to make that back before I was in the black. Better than paying interest to a bank but still debt.
18) Whether it's keeping the books in the black or simply managing a healthy balance of billable hours, cash is king.
19) Cash rich corporations living with balance sheets in the black versus the developed countries' governments all living deep in the red seems exactly opposite ...
20) ... all on a volunteer basis. The fact that we have remained " in the black " for five years is an accomplishment that shouldn't go unnoticed.