"to be in the dark"
to be in a state of ignorance;
to not know something
Related words and phrases:
Johnny's mother has been called into the school. Apparently, Johnny has been having some trouble at school. Some of the other bigger boys have been bullying Johnny. Johnny's mother is talking with the principal of the school ...
Principal: Hello Mrs. Smith. I have called you in here because Johnny has been having some trouble at school.
Johnny's mother: Oh, really? I didn't know.
Principal: Yes, it seems that several bullies have been hurting your son.
Johnny's mother: That is a total surprise to me.
Principal: Has Johnny not said anything to you about this problem?
Johnny's mother: No. I am completely in the dark.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: There is definitely something going on around here.
Colleague 2: What do you mean?
Colleague 1: It seems like there are fewer and fewer people working in the office and the parking lot is half empty. Do you think the company is going broke?
Colleague 2: How should I know? I'm as much in the dark as you are.
Being in the dark can be a frustrating experience.
1) I am in the dark when it comes to modern music.
2) You are in the dark if you are unaware of management decisions at work.
3) He is in the dark because no one tells him anything.
4) She is in the dark in regards to where her son is.
5) The company is in the dark because it does not know what its competitors plan to do next.
6) We are in the dark because we do not know which team we play next.
7) You (all) are in the dark because you do not have a schedule.
8) They are in the dark when they have no knowledge of a particular event.
9) Have you been in the dark since last Tuesday when the boss stopped reporting what was going on?
10) The company has been in the dark since it lost its corporate spy.
11) She was in the dark last week until he gave her the news.
12) Was the government in the dark last week after it lost their spies?
13) You will be in the dark next week when your information source goes out of town.
14) Is he going to be in the dark next week when his information source goes out of town?
15) You will be in the dark next week when your information source goes out of town.
16) I am going to be in the dark next week when my information source goes out of town.
17) The team will be in the dark next week when its spy quits spying.
18) I am going to have been in the dark for two weeks by the time my source returns.
19) Will he have been in the dark for two weeks by the time his source returns?
20) Will the team have been in the dark for two weeks by the time it recruits another spy?