"in the distance"
far away but able to be seen or heard
Related words and phrases:
A fisherman is standing on the shore of a lake.
What does he see off in the distance?
A father and his daughter are driving into a city to visit some friends ...
Daughter: Do you think we are lost? This freeway looks very complicated.
Father: Well, can you see the tallest building in the distance?
Daughter: Just barely.
Father: That building is near where we are going.
Two friends who are on vacation are seeing the sites of a city ...
Friend 1: I'm afraid that I can't figure out this map. How are we going to get to the cathedral?
Friend 2: Can you see that church spire a way off in the distance?
Friend 1: Yes, I think I see it.
Friend 2: That's where we're going.
Two friends are trekking in the wilderness ...
Friend 1: I think we're lost. We've been walking for days. Our food and water are almost gone. What are we going to do?
Friend 2: I think I can see a town or a building or something.
Friend 1: Do you mean that rectangular shape way off in the distance?
Friend 2: Yes.
Jim is off on a birdwatching adventure.
He sees some birds far away.
He can't quite determine the species of the birds because they are way off in the distance.
Sam has been floating around in a lifeboat for days.
Finally he spots a ship off in the distance.
Time to row.
Seeing something off in the distance means that it is quite far away.
1) Oh wait, what's that other sound off in the distance?
2) I flattened myself in doorways whenever I heard maintenance crews passing in the distance.
3) Immense trucks can be spotted in the distance, driving loads of coal scooped up after blasting.
4) Something's caught his ear in the distance and now he's trying to get there.
5) That rumble in the distance is not thunder!
6) Thinking of your endpoint as a mountain in the distance is really helpful.
7) When the human eye sees a scene, objects in the distance appear smaller than those close by.
8) I could see a plane in the distance take off from Logan.
9) As he drew it in, a figure appeared in the distance and Sid squinted to get a better look.
10) In the distance he could even see cherry blossom trees.
11) You could see the snow capped mountains out in the distance and the entire city.
12) In the distance he could even see cherry blossom trees.
13) The shore seems small in the distance. Fear sets in.
14) In the distance, evening dogs were barking and village boys were urging sheep through clanging metal gates.
15) It has an amazing view of the mission and city hall in the distance.
16) It looked like the land we had left, some smoke in the distance, but I wasn't sure.
17) We saw a little rise in the distance and said, that'll be a good place for the church.
18) In the distance was a huge column of tanks. It was a very impressive sight.
19) As you descend, you'll hear the sound of a large creature in the distance, along with an auto-save, as well as nervous comments by your companions.
20) Look away from the monitor and focus on something in the distance. Rest your eyes by covering them with your palms for 10-15 seconds.