"(to be) in the red"
to be in the situation of spending more money than you are earning
Related words and phrases:
Two business partners are talking ...
Partner 1: I just finished processing month-end and I am sad to say that sales are so far down that we are operating at a loss.
Partner 2: That's terrible news. Being in the red makes me very nervous.
A husband and wife are talking ...
Husband: All these bills are killing us. We are spending more than I make and our savings account is falling.
Wife: That's not good that we are in the red. Perhaps I should find a job.
Husband: If you were bringing in an income we would definitely be saving again in no time.
Being in the red for more than a year, the company declared bankruptcy.
1) Startups start in the red and are funded for several years before they become profitable.
2) ... my portfolio finished the fiscal year at about 20 percent in the red. One of my stocks had fallen from $72 to $4.
3) Medicare is tens of trillions of dollars in the red. It is expected to go bankrupt by 2017.
4) Clinton left 3 trillion surplus, Bush spent it all and put us in the red for another 10 trillion.
5) The Dow ended in the red for the fourth week in a row, marking the longest losing streak since August ...
6) If your employer is in the red and mass layoffs abound, you should probably put off your request for more money ...
7) ... saying despite record crowds, they're still in the red.
8) The United States Post Office is in the red partly because the public no longer sends regular mail in the quantity that it did ...
9) Things are improving at Sony, however; while still in the red, the company only reported a $312 million loss in August, indicating that Sony ...
10) ... top of that can cause them to go from being profitable to being in the red.
11) The program was $5.7 million in the red because of bad loans.
12) It's hard to square such pay increases in a company that operates in the red and can't fund needed maintenance.
13) ... like Citigroup, Wells Fargo and Bank of America that had been deep in the red said they had returned to profitability in the first quarter.
14) ... because earnings have declined or they had a restructuring charge that put them in the red for the quarter (year).
15) ... doesn't make payroll, chews through its endowment or ends each year in the red, but there are other kinds of failure, too.
16) ... you can "dress to the nines" without going in the red.
17) ... stock in an effort to cut costs, as the company is still in the red 5 years after its launch.
18) ... his budget chief told reporters that state finances were far enough in the red to "likely " trigger a mandatory deficit-reduction plan.
19) The grocery store chain is still sitting in the red for the past year, with a return of -60.70%.
20) What I was stating was that to balance a budget when you are in the red you have to make sure that your income matches your expenses or is ideally more ...