"it hit me"
to have a sudden realization
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Have you been working all night?
Colleague 2: Yes. This report needs to be ready for this afternoon and I was really stuck on a certain problem that I simply could not figure out.
Colleague 1: What did you do?
Colleague 2: I just kept going back over the data again and again and then at about four in the morning, it hit me.
Colleague 1: What did you realize?
Colleague 2: I had a blinding flash of insight. There was data missing.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Have you been crying?
Friend 2: I got up this morning and started calling for my dog. He wasn't responding as he usually does, by jumping on my bed. I was trying to understand what was going on when it hit me that my dog was gone. He had been hit by a car last week. I was devastated.
Hitting him (like a ton of bricks), the news of his father's death caused him to groan in pain.
1) ... soul had been sucked out of my body; I couldn't breathe when it hit me.
2) But suddenly the boots lurched into the scrub. Then it hit me, someone is in those boots.
3) as if my cancer could jump to him... All of a sudden, it hit me, and I got very insecure.
4) ... and they rejected me. That was a reality check; it hit me hard. I went into depression.
5) ... that was when it hit me. How silly and foolish we must look and appear to the rest of ...
6) ... it was only later in his relationship with his current wife did it hit him that she shares striking similarities to his mother.
7) ... on the fifth floor of a walk-up. Then it hit him: I could build something tiny, post it online and viewers would ...
8) When he checked his salary statement, it hit him that the massive deduction was for the yearly levies that he owed in income ...
9) ... to be a better way of doing this, he thought. And then it hit him: why not sell furniture in a flat pack you could assemble at home ...
10) He shut the door. He sat down. Suddenly, it hit him. "I was shaking and crying," he said.
11) ... silently, trying to identify the feeling gnawing at her insides. Finally, it hit her. She felt helpless. And the recognition that she couldn't stop what ...
12) The second time she was grumpy. She couldn't understand why, until it hit her.
13) Her twin, Sadie will begin cosmetology school this fall. Sadie said it hit her a while back that her best friend was leaving.
14) It was then that it hit her: she was in this for life.
15) ... recalled how she was going through her wardrobe some 8-10 years ago when it hit her that she had way too many clothes, some worn once or twice while ...
16) ... when suddenly it hit them -- the idea to create and photograph a dress that doubles down as an ...
17) a tear in his eye. The game was all but over. And it hit me: 'Jeez, they've actually won this'.
18) It took two weeks before it hit me. Then I fully just wept.
19) It's pretty tough. It hit me like a ton of bricks.
20) It hit me then that she was gone. I went into shock.