an isolated environment where one is out of touch with everyday reality;
a place of retreat where one concentrates on intellectual rather than everyday matters
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Do you think that Richard has a chance of getting this upcoming promotion?
Colleague 2: I doubt it. Richard sits in his office most of the time crunching numbers. That causes him to be out of touch with the rest of the office and factory. As capable as he is, he is just too isolated in his ivory tower.
Two university professors are talking ...
Professor 1: Is it just me or does it seem like students nowadays are just not as capable of meeting academic standards as they used to be?
Professor 2: I think you are right. The university is not what it used to be. With more and more students attending university, the university management can not be as selective as they once were. We are becoming less of an ivory tower, a place of elite, higher learning, and more of an education factory.
There is no gerund form for ivory tower.
1) Do not get hung up in the ivory tower of pure academia. What works on paper is rarely 100% possible to accomplish ...
2) Have you been asleep in your ivory tower for the last decade? Don't you know the credibility of these organizations ...
3) ... a debased humanity far from the maddening crowd and in the comfort of his ivory tower existence. This arrangement seemed to work well for them.
4) ... professional responsibilities, the Commission is able to proceed with its work not in an ivory tower but in close touch with the realities of international life.
5) ... global environment where technology is constantly reshaping the economy, that means abandoning the "ivory tower" model and adapting to meet the needs of business.
6) ... expertise from academia, but his brilliance is getting across that boundary line between the ivory tower and the land, and making the connections in fresh and interesting and challenging ...
7) A handful of billionaires and millionaires whilst the majority of those working for these ivory tower saints are living paycheck to paycheck.
8) ... and further exhibits why arcane things like tenure in the academic ivory tower need to go the way of fairy tales!
9) This is a beyond isolated, ivory tower, oblivious to reality piece of complete drivel.
10) ... we realized that the isolation was reinforced by the myth of the university as the ivory tower as both displaced from the real world as well as from ...
11) There is a myth that the academy functions as an independent ivory tower that is privileged and isolated, untouched by historical dynamics and free from possible ...
12) Now, the Internet allows more of our understanding to seep from the ivory tower, closing that gulf and empowering us to know things for ourselves.
13) No, friend, being in the ivory tower and being privileged doesn't make you the perfect candidate for a prophet.
14) If you don't want to get dirty, stay in the ivory tower. Your street fighting brothers exemplify what it means to manipulate information and people.
15) You can always go back to the ivory tower and the gated community and debate arcane points of the law with pretentious pettifoggers ...
16) To sit in an ivory tower and snipe at people making legitimate money is insidious.
17) ... before you continue saying more stupid things, how about you leave your ivory tower, put those books down, and start working in the real world.
18) ... because of such elitist academics like yourself that academia is only seen as this 'ivory tower' which tends to produce one article only read by a few.
19) If I leave you enough money, you can retire to an ivory tower, and contemplate for the rest of your days the ...
20) She calls on other social scientists to join her. Her foray out of the ivory tower has taught her that people are hungry for what historians and sociologists can teach.