"to keep a stiff upper lip"
to not show emotion or feelings when upset;
to remain stoic during times of trouble
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Have you gotten your termination notice?
Colleague 2: I got my notice yesterday.
Colleague 1: But you seem so calm.
Colleague 2: I was taught to keep a stiff upper lip in times of trouble.
Two friends are talking after a skiing accident ...
Friend 1: I think you broke your leg.
Friend 2: No problem. Let's get the rescue team out.
Friend 1: Aren't you in a lot of pain?
Friend 2: It is excruciating but I'm not going to show it in front of all these people.
Friend 1: I admire your stiff upper lip.
Keeping a stiff upper lip when hurt on the sports field is common.
1) ... kids that during tough times, as much as we might try to keep a stiff upper lip and pretend to be strong, generally we have to accept that.
2) He is really very upset and tries to keep a stiff upper lip but it is obviously very hard.
3) ... platitudes such as "Oh you'll get through it"... "Keep a stiff upper lip." Fortunately, I am very skilled at noticing my self-talk.
4) If adversity is something you tackle alone and keep a stiff upper lip, then resentment is building up on your part.
5) ... just take a look at Downton Abbey to see how we keep a stiff upper lip and don't like to wear our heart on our sleeve.
6) Sharon will just have to do what millions of UK folks do, keep a stiff upper lip, bear with it, and get on with what's left of ...
7) ... luckily they have the advantage of knowing how to keep a stiff upper lip, rather than indulge in embarrassing self-pity and pathetic demands for special treatment.
8) Men pour feelings into their bodies and keep a stiff upper lip.
9) How we managed to keep a stiff upper lip and not panic I do not know!
10) Together we will keep a stiff upper lip and put up a brave front.
11) But as with every other break up, I will keep a stiff upper lip, pretend its okay but still find myself sneaking back to read old ...
12) ... it's all okay just as long as we keep a stiff upper lip, suppress our emotions, and behave courteously.
13) However much it hurts inside, you smile and keep a stiff upper lip.
14) Thank you so much to all of you who keep a stiff upper lip and keep posting positive and uplifting words.
15) ... don't exhibit those traits, and pressure to suck it up and keep a stiff upper lip rather than seeking help for emotional troubles.
16) ... so I can definitely relate to applying for jobs and keeping a stiff upper lip in the face of rejection.
17) This is the self-deluding practice of simply keeping a stiff upper lip while trying to walk on water.
18) ... your media crowed over the manner how British man on the street was keeping a stiff upper lip on the face of unmitigated terror.
19) It's no use in keeping a stiff upper lip, You can weep, you can sleep You can loosen your grip ...
20) It's part of the whole English reluctance to show affection and keeping a stiff upper lip.