"to keep an eye on"
to actively monitor something or someone and intervene or take action if necessary
Related words and phrases:
Grace is stirring a pot on the stove as Ned reads the newspaper ...
Grace: I've just realized that I forgot the bread for supper. I'm going to go to the market and buy it now. Please keep an eye on this pot of gravy. You will need to stir it or it will burn and get lumpy. Oh, and keep an eye on little Fred. I don't want him getting into trouble.
Ned: Yes dear. I'll take care of the gravy while you are gone and I'll make sure little Fred behaves.
A school guidance counselor and a school teacher are talking about a student, Dan.
Counselor: Did you know that Dan's grandfather has just died?
Teacher: No, I didn't. Were Dan and his grandfather close?
Counselor: Very close. I'm a little worried about Dan.
Teacher: I'll keep a close eye on him and make sure he is OK.
Counselor: Would you please tell me if Dan shows major behavioral changes?
Teacher: If I see anything, I will be sure to tell you.
Keeping an eye on children is the best way to keep them safe.
1) I keep an eye on the dog after its been to the veterinarian.
2) You keep an eye on the television when you want to catch the weather forecast.
3) He keeps an eye on the new employees to make sure they are doing OK.
4) She keeps an eye on the sales fliers because she doesn't want to miss any sales.
5) The big box store keeps an eye on the the newest trends in the market.
6) We keep an eye on the competition so we are always aware of any new plays.
7) You (all) keep an eye on your girlfriend when you suspect she is cheating.
8) They keep a careful eye on the students during exams.
9) Parents are encouraged to keep an eye on kids as they play.
10) It is very important to keep an eye on how our government is doing.
11) After hearing he got drafted by the Cubs I tried to keep an eye on him, as I played soccer against him in High School.
12) Keep an eye on what your competitors are doing.
13) The U.S. imports 7 percent of its oil from Angola; so keep an eye on global corruption here with Transparency International.
14) If you've been patiently waiting for reprints, get ready and keep an eye on this space for more information.
15) It's my job to keep an eye on the latest technologies, trends and methods.
16) Every site needs to keep an eye on their back link profile.
17) Currently, there are four major types of e-voting around the world that are worth keeping an eye on.
18) American college and university presidents are keeping an eye on up-and-coming competitors in Asia.
19) I look forward to keeping an eye on your future work.
20) I'm keeping an eye on the comments and unmoderating as fast as I can.