"to keep your chin up"
to wish someone confidence in a difficult situation;
to offer encouragement
Related words and phrases:
My car broke down this morning and the mechanic tells me it will cost $2,000 to fix it. My dog died last week. My boss hates me. I am feeling a little depressed.
What will you say to me?
Jane loves to downhill ski. She goes skiing almost every weekend during the ski season. Jane works at a travel agency that promotes skiing holidays. You might say that Jane lives to ski. Unfortunately, Jane had a bad skiing accident three month ago and broke her leg very badly. One day, Jane is moping around her apartment when Jane's friend, Linda, stops over for a visit ...
Linda: Hey, Jane! How are you?
Jane: Not so good.
Linda: What's the matter?
Jane: Look at my leg. I am sick and tired of this cast and I haven't been skiing in months and the ski season will be over before this cast finally comes off.
Linda: Well, keep your chin up! There's always next season.
Jane: Yes, you're right. I will cheer up.
Keeping your chin up can be a great way to persevere.
1) I keep my chin up when times are tough.
2) You keep your chin up when you get bad news.
3) He keeps his chin up when everyone around him is downhearted.
4) She keeps her chin up because she is an optimist.
5) We keep our chins up no matter what the circumstances.
6) You (all) keep your chins up when you feel blue.
7) They keep their chins up when their lives are in calamity.
8) I am so sorry to hear this news. Try your best to keep your chin up.
9) Keep your chin up, we're all here to support you through this.
10) I agree - you're full of bravery and courage. Keep your chin up! Things will get better.
11) You couldn't moan about things. You had to keep your chin up and get on with it.
12) I wish you every bit of luck, so keep your chin up and don't give in.
13) Don't forget, miracles really do happen. Hang in there and keep your chin up.
14) It's just hard to keep your chin up in this recession.
15) Onwards and upwards as they say, keep your chin up sweetie, something good will be just around the corner.
16) I'm trying to keep my chin up and see their refusal to pay interns as ironic rather than hypocritical.
17) I try to keep my chin up by laughing, like imagining humorous things and situations.
18) Keeping your chin up only goes so far.
19) She kept her chin up and she retained her love of writing.
20) After receiving the devastating diagnosis of bowel cancer earlier this year my Mum kept her chin up and faced it head on.