"to keep your ears open"
describes the process of remaining vigilant in the acquisition of information in order to discover hidden, secret or extra information
Related words and phrases:
Two middle level managers are talking at work ...
Manager 1: Have you heard about the re-structuring that is going to happen?
Manager 2: I've heard rumors but nothing specific. Upper management is keeping the whole process a secret
Manager 1: Well, I think we need to keep our ears open so that we can learn as much as we can.
Manager 2: Agreed. I'll keep my ear to the ground.
Two parents are talking about their teenage daughter ...
Mom: Have you noticed that Jennifer is acting differently?
Dad: Yes. What's going on?
Mom: Well, she is a teenager and they can be moody at times but this seems more than that.
Dad: OK. You keep your ears open. I'll keep mine open and maybe we can discover some clues to her behavior.
Keeping your ears open could be a great way to gather information.
1) Always listen to the people, keep your ears open to them.
2) Keep your ears open in case anybody comes down the yard.
3) Keep your ears open and you might hear the familiar sound of duigee-duigee, especially towards sundown.
4) It's hard to lose yourself completely, if you have to keep your ears open for footsteps or the creaking of a door-handle.
5) None of you believe me about the vocal change of Tim, do keep your ears open when he sings the 3rd verse.
6) Keep your ears open for a couple of eyebrow-raising lines -- one about a segregated restaurant ...
7) Keep your ears open for sensible observations while muting some of the hyperbole.
8) As a Forex trader you need to keep your ears open to the announcements from the Federal Reserve.
9) One thing I would say is keep your ears open for a whine from the gearbox especially in 6th gear.
10) Ideas can spring from the most unlikely places, so you should always keep your ears open for some shrewd advice.
11) Keep your ears open for new laws about Sunday pay and things like that.
12) Keep your ears open to learn from the many internet marketers who are willing and eager to share.
13) Keep your ears open to your inner voice. Be aware of your surroundings and follow your intuition.
14) Times change, and if you keep your ears open there's always some new guy, and something new to learn.
15) Keep your ears open for anything that may come up.
16) I am sure your library provides excellent customer service so be sure to keep your ears open to these types of stories to add to your storybanks!
17) Keep your ears open to find out what behaviors your teen's friends are engaging in.
18) Either way, keep your ears open for any clues about their plans for October and beyond.
19) Keep your ears open for opportunities, and prepare to be flexible. I read between the lines and keep my ears open.