"to keep your nose clean"
to avoid trouble or doing anything illegal
Related words and phrases:
A school vice-principal and student are talking ...
Vice-principal: You know that the sort of behavior you displayed today will not be tolerated in this school.
Student: Yes sir.
Vice-principal: Under normal circumstances, you would be given a three-day suspension from school.
Student: Yes sir.
Vice-principal: But you have been a really good student and have never gotten into trouble in the past so if you can keep your nose clean moving forward, I will not suspend you. Do you think you can stay out of trouble?
Student: Yes sir. It won't happen again. I will be on my best behavior.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Is Jimmy coming out drinking with us tonight?
Friend 2: No way. As you know Jimmy got into a really bad fight recently and was charged with assault. The judge gave him a year's probation but said that if he did not keep his nose clean that he would be going to jail.
Friend 1: So Jimmy wants to avoid any chance of getting into trouble with the law?
Friend 2: Exactly. Jimmy will be spending his nights quietly at home. He really does not want to go to jail.
Keeping your nose clean by avoiding associating with known felons is a good way to avoid going to jail.
1) If you keep your nose clean, you will do very well here.
2) This gives you the opportunity to keep your nose clean and then you won't go back to prison.
3) There is no pressure here as long as you keep your nose clean and don't get into any trouble with the police.
4) ... learned living in the US are that: if you work hard and keep your nose clean, your chances of success will be high.
5) Management will often tell their young up-and-coming artists: 'Keep your nose clean; don't get involved with the controversial and political situations.'
6) You Americans do not have a good record, so keep your nose clean and keep out of the internal affairs of my country.
7) ... and the fact that to progress you must keep your nose clean and your medical card as pristine as possible.
8) The only thing that I have heard my father preach is: keep your nose clean in Cuba and you can do business here for a long time
9) Other ways to save to on auto insurance: Keep your nose clean. Virtually every insurer offers good-driving discounts or preferential pricing for those who have ...
10) You can do everything right -- study hard, work diligently, keep your nose clean -- but if you fall victim to a random workplace accident, ...
11) And outside of an altercation over a parking ticket, Mixon's kept his nose clean since.
12) He was innocent. James too, he kept his nose clean. It's really really tragic.
13) But Mertick, who's kept his nose clean for five years, was able to avoid jail and was fined $1,500.
14) It's quite an incredible record. He kept his nose clean and out of danger, and that's more than we can say for ...
15) He was working as a bouncer at three nightclubs but managing to keep his nose clean.
16) Of course people can argue that a player on a yellow should keep his nose clean, but that means having no physical contact when going for the ball.
17) He is on parole so he must keep his nose clean.
18) ... but they will have their son again someday that is if he keeps his nose clean.
19) ... what it took to succeed. He's motivated, he keeps his nose clean and he's a smart, great kid.
20) I work with a guy who has spent the last eight years keeping his nose clean, never in fights with leadership, does whatever is asked of him, ...