"to keep your nose to the grindstone"
to continue to work very hard and continuously
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Well, I'm about three weeks into this huge project with another eight or ten weeks to go. I am worried that I may miss the deadline.
Colleague 2: Just keep your nose to the grindstone and you will finish it in time.
Colleague 1: I'm not sure that I can sustain that level of work for that period of time.
Two students are talking ...
Student 1: I've been going to the library every night for the past month and the mid-term paper is due at the end of next month.
Student 2: Good for you to persevere with the hard work. Do you feel that you are making progress?
Student 1: Some of the material is really difficult but keeping my nose to the grindstone is starting to show reward.
Student 2: Keep up the good work.
Keeping your nose to the grindstone required dedication and perseverance.
1) This resource provides a full download and will keep your nose to the grindstone for days.
2) ... to be that you were told to work hard and keep your nose to the grindstone and you will achieve the American dream.
3) I've always believed that if you keep your nose to the grindstone, keep working and good things will happen.
4) Thus schoolchildren still endure injunctions to "keep your nose to the grindstone" (ouch), "there is no substitute for hard work".
5) ... he knows not how to save as he earns, keep his nose to the grindstone all his life, and die penniless.
6) ... the male breadwinner needed to keep his nose to the grindstone and his hand to the plow, otherwise penury and disaster might well follow.
7) They're the ones who kept their nose to the grindstone and worked very hard to allow this day to be realized.
8) ... our tendency is to keep our nose to the grindstone (what a nasty visual!) and just keep on running.
9) I just wanted to keep my nose to the grindstone and keep grinding away. I welcomed the challenge.
10) ... important questions to ask during your performance review meeting. Keeping your nose to the grindstone all year long only to have someone else swoop in and take that promotion ...
11) ... significant factors in job satisfaction and career success. Simply keeping your nose to the grindstone won't cut it because, at some point, your personality preferences will kick ...
12) You've kept your nose to the grindstone for months, and now you feel it's time for some hard-earned vacation.
13) ... and we are just going to keep our nose to the grindstone and keep going. There's not stopping us, ...
14) And we are always evolving as technology changes and our customers change. So our plan is to keep our nose to the grindstone.
15) We've got to keep our nose to the grindstone and keep practicing hard and get ready and mentally prepare and be ready for Thursday.
16) We have to keep our nose to the grindstone and stay focused on what our goal is to finish out the year.
17) I know this for a fact, because I like to tell such people, “Keep your nose to the grindstone and all you'll end up with is a very short nose.”.
18) Slow and steady wins the race, keep your nose to the grindstone, don't look for shortcuts.
19) You keep your nose to the grindstone and move from one commitment to the next, but in between you feel exhausted and ornery.
20) I was taught to stick with it, keep your nose to the grindstone, move that salt, push the big rock up the hill!