"to kill time"
to do something which is not very useful or interesting while you are waiting for time to pass
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I just got my itinerary for my next business trip. I am going to have a three-hour stopover in Chicago.
Colleague 2: I guess you will have to take your laptop and work while you wait.
Colleague 1: It is far too noisy and distracting in an airport to work. I will have to find a way to kill time.
Colleague 2: Too bad you will lose those productive hours.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: What took so long?
Friend 2: The doctor's office was extremely busy.
Friend 1: What did you do to kill time?
Friend 2: I played a couple of games on my smartphone and flipped through some boring magazines.
Killing time in the mall while he waited for his girlfriend to finish shopping, he played a game on his smartphone.
1) To kill time, he did more practice puzzles.
2) I always got off work earlier and to kill time, I went to a nearby cafe, or took walks around the ...
3) You don't kill time when you visit San Francisco, you make the most of every minute you ...
4) ... thoughts darted back and forth and my wait stretched into hours, I opted to kill time by watching reruns of Blackish, ...
5) ... when he gets time he chills out online to kill time.
6) Don't kill time in the mall. It only makes you restless, depressed and even ...
7) While the Face-Swap feature can make for an entertaining five minutes as you kill time at the airport, ...
8) Or you just make stuff up in your own head to kill time.
9) Soon he found himself playing whenever he could -- in class to kill time and in his spare time -- completing five games a day.
10) ... when her car broke down. She decided to kill time while it was being repaired by attending a movie ...
11) You'll often see these guys in trains and buses, trying to kill time during their commute by swiping around their phones.
12) ... he wanted to avoid having it appear as a side-project, or a way to kill time between FOW albums.
13) ... book in my bag. I take it out to read when I have to kill time, like sitting in the hairdresser's chair or waiting for someone to turn ...
14) How did we ever kill time when there were no cell phones to begin with?
15) Filibustering in the house to kill time while deals are done outside the door.
16) For some, quilting may not be considered the most riveting way to kill time.
17) ... and she had gone to get a drink to kill time.
18) While waiting, taxi drivers did what they could to kill time, which was very unproductive.
19) He thought he could ice the puck, to kill time, without stopping play.
20) ... the long wait pushed some motorists to abandon their cars and find creative ways to kill time.