"to know the ropes"
to understand the procedures and processes necessary to perform a task or understand a situation
Related words and phrases:
Today, Juan is substitute teaching at a local Junior High School. Juan has substituted as a teacher many times in the past. As a result, Juan knows that the students like to give substitute teachers more trouble than their usual teachers.
Juan knows the ropes of substitute teaching.
Susan is having a discussion with her boss about a new client their company has. The client wants to change the rules of the contract they signed. Susan is reluctant to make the changes because she knows that if her company allows one change, then the customer will want more changes in the future.
Susan knows the ropes.
Knowing the ropes can help you make a good decision.
1) I know the ropes when I have all the facts.
2) You know the ropes when you understand a situation.
3) He knows the ropes because he has been here for twenty years.
4) She knows the ropes because she has studied the situation.
5) The school administration knows the ropes when it comes to delinquent students.
6) We know the ropes when we understand all aspects of the relationship.
7) You (all) know the ropes because you (all) have done this many times before.
8) They know the ropes because they have been briefed thoroughly.
9) For women who have been through one pregnancy they know the ropes.
10) Just do the research before you go and you will know the ropes before you have even arrived.
11) They know the ropes better than anyone.
12) Why? Because they have the contacts, they know the ropes and they have a more accurate perception of the risks.
13) You need to know the ropes to make the best out of your real estate sale.
14) It's important to practice to make sure you know the ropes of web design.
15) They know the ropes, they know the system and they know how one can speed up the process.
16) He's played a spy before too, so knows the ropes and brings an icy edge of coolness to the role.
17) She knows the ropes, she knows the politics... she knows how the system works.
18) This is a seasoned veteran who knows the ropes.
19) I believe this buyer was extremely savvy and knew the ropes and must have done this before.
20) I am sure I only did it because I was with someone who knew the ropes.