"to know what's what"
to understand a situation even though the facts might not be apparent or the facts might be unpleasant
Related words and phrases:
Today, Juan is substitute teaching at a local Junior High School. Juan has substituted as a teacher many times in the past. As a result, Juan knows that the students like to give substitute teachers more trouble than their usual teachers.
Juan knows what's what about substitute teaching.
Susan is having a discussion with her boss about a new client their company has. The client wants to change the rules of the contract they signed. Susan is reluctant to make the changes because she knows that if her company allows one change, then the customer will want more changes in the future.
Susan knows what's what.
Knowing what's what can help you make a good decision.
1) I know what's what when I have all the facts.
2) You know what's what when you understand a situation.
3) He knows what's what because he has been here for twenty years.
4) She knows what's what because she has studied the situation.
5) The school administration knows what's what when it comes to delinquent students.
6) We know what's what when we understand all aspects of the relationship.
7) You (all) know what's what because you (all) have done this many times before.
8) They know what's what because they have been briefed thoroughly.
9) I don't know what's what over there to be honest.
10) I can pick up any extra clues now that I know what's what.
11) I live my days under the assumption that the world wants to know what's what.
12) One likes to know what's what.
13) If you want to know what's what, you check the Law Wiki.
14) Take a book to ensure you know what's what.
15) The trouble is I don't think the higher echelons of a company really know what's what.
16) When you're starting off, it can be tough to know what's what!
17) There are lots of self described experts here thinking they know what's what
18) After a year or two, still don't know what's what.
19) We've both got a lot of living to do before we know what's what.
20) I don't know anything. I don't know what's what.