"to lay off"
to stop doing something or to stop bothering someone
Related words and phrases:
Ned and Grace are eating at their favorite local restaurant. Ned has been complaining all during the meal about the bad service provided by the waiter. After listening to Ned complain and complain, finally Grace tells Ned ...
"Lay off the poor waiter, Ned. He is doing his job the best that he can."
If Ned lays off the waiter, does this mean Ned will stop complaining?
Mary smokes like a chimney. One day she and her husband, Daniel, are visiting a friend. Their friend lives in an apartment block on the fifth floor. There is no elevator. After climbing three flights of stairs Mary is breathing heavily and coughing as she stops for a rest. Daniel asks her ...
"Do you think you should lay off the cigarettes?"
If Mary lays off the cigarettes, will her health improve?
A boss has called an employee into his office ...
Boss: Thanks for coming in.
Employee: No problem. How can I help?
Boss: I'm afraid I have some bad news. Orders are way down and we need to cut some staff. You are a great worker so please do not think that you are being laid off because of your performance.
Employee: You mean I'm losing my job?
Boss: Only until the factory is busier and then you will be re-hired.
Laying off the fatty foods can improve your health.
Laying off workers is a last resort.
1) I lay off the coffee when I become irritable from too much caffeine.
2) You lay off insulting your friend when your friend begins to be upset.
3) He lays off the potato chips when his pants no longer fit.
4) She lays off using her credit card when the monthly payments are too high.
5) The union lays off its strict rules when necessary.
6) We lay off the referee when the referee threatens us with expulsion from the game.
7) You (all) lay off the boss when you realize the boss is just doing her job.
8) They lay off their children when they realize they are being too harsh.
9) Retailer Target Corp. said Tuesday that it would lay off about 1,700 employees and close 1,400 open positions.
10) United Airlines will lay off 115 employees at the Miami International Airport.
11) U.S. Steel to lay off 614 as Lorain Tubular Operations goes idle.
12) Utah-based Management and Training Corp. plans to lay off more than 200 workers on Monday.
13) Coast Professional Inc. plans to lay off 172 employees in Geneseo and another 92 in Henrietta after losing a contract last month.
14) Kean University will lay off 54 full-time employees and hire an outside vendor to clean and maintain its campus.
15) A Portland medical products company will lay off scores of workers as it shutters its local facilities.
16) Marathon Oil Corp. said Thursday it would lay off about 10 percent of its workforce, as the company looks to cut costs.
17) The Scripps Washington Bureau will lay off four journalists in preparation for the upcoming newspaper spinoff of The E. W. Scripps Company.
18) Igate may lay off 5% to 10% of its workforce or around 1,500 to 3,000 people over the next three months.
19) A Bloomington company announced Tuesday plans to downsize and lay off about 320 people.
20) Ozzy Osbourne told Billy Bush to lay off his daughter Kelly on Thursday.