"to leave high and dry"
to leave someone unsupported and unable to maneuver;
to leave someone helpless
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: We have a big problem in the factory. All the workers have walked off the job because of the purportedly unsafe work conditions.
Colleague 2: They have just left us high and dry?
Colleague 1: Yes, with no way to continue production and meet order deadlines. We are in big trouble. We are stuck. We can't possibly train new staff quickly enough before the company fails.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Why is there a "for sale" sign on your front lawn?
Friend 2: My husband has left me high and dry. He walked out on us and there is no way that I can financially support this house.
Friend 1: Is your husband not making spousal support payments?
Friend 2: No, and the court system is moving too slowly. Besides, I have not heard from him since he left and no one we know even knows where he is. He has quit his job. We are left stranded.
Leaving their friend high and dry, the rest of the children ran away after they broke the window playing baseball in the street.
1) ... of Nova Scotia simply fled the country with the deposits and left everyone high and dry.
2) You have left us high and dry in the Hamilton area for country music as there are no stations available to us.
3) I've had a few other fellas since who have left me high and dry, And though it's months and months since I and Charlie said' good-bye ...
4) It appears to me that you left him high and dry just when he needed you most.
5) Total BS, they left me high and dry with no money.
6) ... resolve funding issues for Auckland's HELPline but instead they have left them high and dry, forcing them to reduce services, the Green Party said today.
7) ... all I wanted was your love, But you left me high and dry. You're the part of me that died my darling.
8) ... she needs to earn the money because her dead beat dad left them high and dry.
9) I never felt like I was left high and dry without options.
10) ... make sure you're diversifying your assets so that you're not left high and dry if one of those income streams suddenly dries up.
11) "I have no complaint against Home Depot except how they left us high and dry last time," said Norman. "Everybody was pretty disappointed with them."
12) People waiting to get the device were left high and dry for nearly eight weeks before they knew when the device would become available.
13) It is unfortunate to be left high and dry like that. However, everyone takes risks and it would be truly foolish to ...
14) ... to purchase technology over the internet, a lot of companies are left high and dry when something goes wrong.
15) ... businesses could have gone bankrupt, because they would have been left high and dry. We had to prevent that.
16) ... the rough patches, cares for me, and doesn't leave me high and dry when I'm most in need.
17) ... articulate it to clients so that they feel you will not leave them high and dry if something terrible happens.
18) ... goes to show you that devastated credit doesn't have to leave you high and dry when it comes to entering the housing market.
19) Redundancy can strike at any moment and leave you high and dry.
20) ... have some peace of mind because they aren't going to leave you high and dry.