"to leave in the lurch"
to abandon or not do something for someone which you had already committed to doing thereby causing a difficult situation
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking on the telephone ...
Colleague 1: Where are you? Our presentation starts in ten minutes.
Colleague 2: Sorry. My flight was delayed and then there was a long wait for a taxi. I am about thirty minutes away. You are going to have to do the presentation on your own.
Colleague 1: That is going to be really difficult. I didn't really prepare for your part of the presentation at all.
Colleague 2: Sorry to leave you in the lurch.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Hey. Welcome back. How was your trip.
Friend 2: For the most part, it was pretty good.
Friend 1: Except?
Friend 2: When we arrived at the hotel in Rio, we were told that we did not have reservations and therefore there was no room for us due to the hotel being booked solid because of Mardi Gras.
Friend 1: Did your travel agent not help?
Friend 2: Not at all. The agent left me in the lurch. The agent couldn't help at all and I had nowhere to stay.
Friend 1: What did you do?
Leaving your customer in the lurch is bad for business.
1) With no relief from the state government, these labourers are left in the lurch. The situation is particularly bad in the ...
2) ... 95% received their termination benefits while only 5% were left in the lurch.
3) Why has the family been left in the lurch, with no news or updates after four months?
4) ... strike, which has thrown surgery reschedules off-kilter and left countless patients in the lurch, ...
5) ... powerful officials quit just two weeks into the job, leaving the Bank in the lurch and its reputation tarnished.
6) ... the needs of the disabled, so much so that many are left in the lurch when it comes to accessing essential services and public spaces.
7) It has left the motorcyclists in the lurch because they have been denied the right to select a helmet of their choice, ...
8) Some companies have gone bankrupt as a result, leaving residents and families in the lurch.
9) This leaves Veena in the lurch as she has no relevant documents on her own.
10) ... poor and vulnerable people who rely on social assistance, are not left in the lurch.
11) They have been left in the lurch without any explanation or an alternative arrangement.
12) ... where many housing projects were abandoned and buyers were left in the lurch.
13) Millions of social grant dependents could be left in the lurch when the contract expires at the end of this month.
14) The failure of two monsoons in succession has left the farmers in the lurch.
15) ... and we needed to sell the property... my partner would be left in the lurch. She wouldn't really be able to access our main asset.
16) ... thousands of Irish motorists get left in the lurch after the collapse of their insurer, ...
17) We can't leave anyone in the lurch. Once they've sought asylum, we have the responsibility to help them ...
18) ... enact regulations that would provide some amount of monetary relief to workers left in the lurch by factory owners who flee the country.
19) We feel very bad if we have to leave a patient in the lurch due to the van breaking down yet again.
20) This leaves 180 projects in the lurch -- unless they can find other funders for themselves, such as private corporations or ...