"to let someone down"
to disappoint someone by not doing something you said you would do
Related words and phrases:
A mother is talking to her eldest son ...
Mother: Please remember that you are taking your little brother to his baseball practice after school.
Son: Do I have to?
Mother: Yes, you must! You promised to take your brother to his last practice and then you forgot. Your brother was so very disappointed. You mustn't let him down this time.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Well, what did Alex get you for your twenty-first birthday? Was it something big?
Friend 2: No. I was quite disappointed.
Friend 1: Why is that?
Friend 2: Alex only got me a tiny pair of earrings. He has so much money. I thought he would get me a car or something.
Friend 1: I'm sorry Alex let you down.
Letting people down on a constant basis damages your credibility.
1) A friend can let me down but not an enemy.
2) I was very excited for this DVD and it has not let me down.
3) Unfortunately the developers working on my site have let me down.
4) If you put your trust in me I hope I won't let you down.
5) If that so, come to us and we will never let you down!
6) I swear this time I will not let you down. Although they've let us down for decades, this team truly is something different.
7) He let us down and we deserve better.
8) We reserve this list for movies that we expected something from and they let us down.
9) Second, you absolutely need your buddies. To this end, you never ever let them down when they need you.
10) But I just felt like I let them down. And it'll never happen again.
11) I feel bad for this family, their midwives let them down.
12) I also have many other supports, and I do not want to let them down.
13) I just hope I wouldn't let him down.
14) He did nothing wrong and the system let him down.
15) I wanted to weep I felt I had totally let him down.
16) I was brought up by one of God's chosen men, but I let him down, I've lived a life of sin.
17) He didn't want to let her down, but he didn't really have the energy.
18) As we talk I recollect having let her down, but am unable to recall the details.
19) I manage to over commit and inevitably let people down along the way and leave myself and other family members exhausted.
20) I just don't want to let people down. When I do something, I want to do it right.