"to let the cat out of the bag"
to reveal a secret often without the intention to reveal the secret
Related words and phrases:
Martha has found a new job. She has given her employment notice to her boss and will finish work in one week. Martha's coworkers have decided to give a surprise going away party for Martha even though Martha usually keeps her coworkers at arm's length. One morning, Martha's coworkers are talking in the coffee room. They are planning Martha's party when one coworker sees Martha entering the office. The worker says to her coworkers...
"Shhhh! Here comes Martha. Don't let the cat out of the bag!"
All of Martha's coworkers change the subject of conversation and say nothing of the party because the party is to be a surprise.
Pamela and her husband Henry are sitting in their kitchen one morning discussing what they will buy their son, Aaron, for his upcoming birthday. Of course, they want the birthday gift to be a surprise. During the discussion, Pamela sees Aaron trying to sneak up as quiet as a mouse. Aaron wants to overhear his parents conversation and discover what his present will be but Pamela tells Henry...
"Let's not let the cat out of the bag."
Letting the cat out of the bag can cause a surprise party not to be a surprise anymore.
1) I let the cat out of the bag when I inadvertently reveal a surprise.
2) You let the cat out of the bag when you speak of a friends confidence by mistake.
3) He lets the cat out of the bag when he tells the customer the bottom line before negotiations are complete.
4) She lets the cat out of the bag when she tells her friend about a secret that should not be revealed.
5) The software company let the cat out of the bag when it reveals a sequel to a popular video game before the official release date.
6) We let the cat out of the bag when we blurt out our team's strategy.
7) You (all) let the cat out of the bag when you (all) tell a coworker that you overheard the boss talking about a raise for your coworker.
8) They let the cat out of the bag when they reveal an upcoming announcement too early.
9) I've got to let the cat out of the bag, because I think everyone in Saskatoon needs to know.
10) By the time I realized I had let the cat out of the bag, it was too late.
11) At a recent investors' call last week, CEO William Lynch also let the cat out of the bag in terms of the bookstore's ambition of expanding across Europe.
12) Well I guess they let the cat out of the bag on that one.
13) That is the big secret that none will let the cat out of the bag on.
14) We could have wished that the author... had not let the cat out of the bag.
15) Stick to the official attribution rather than let the cat out of the bag and say 'Here we have a fake.'
16) Raisman seemed to have let the cat out of the bag that some serious partying was about to happen.
17) What a shame they let the cat out of the bag by telling the whole world about this lovely little village.
18) Is there hidden potential that only he sees but doesn't want to let the cat out of the bag before getting full control.
19) He's not going to let the cat out of the bag until he has to.
20) Last night my good friend Jen finally let the cat out of the bag that she is expecting her third baby in August!