"to level the playing field"
to change the conditions of a situation so that the conditions are fair for everyone involved
Related words and phrases:
A boss is talking to two of his employees ...
The Boss: OK boys! Today I'm going to evaluate your performance. You each have your orders to pick and fill. You have four hours. Any questions?
Ralph: I have eight orders to fill and George only has six. Is that fair?
George: But your orders are smaller.
Ralph: Regardless, the total number of items for your six orders is one hundred. My eight orders have one hundred and twenty-five items.
Boss: You do have a point, Ralph. Perhaps I should level the playing field by allowing you an extra hour to compensate for the difference.
The captains of two football teams are discussing the conditions of an upcoming exhibition match being played for charity...
Captain 1: I think the match may be a little uneven. Your team is the best in the league and ours is composed of celebrity amateurs.
Captain 2: I see what you mean. It may not be a very fun game for the fans to watch.
Captain 1: How can we level the playing field?
Captain 2: How about if we give you five points to start the game?
Captain 1: That should make the match much fairer and a lot more fun for the fans.
Leveling the playing field can help to make a situation fairer.
1) I level the playing field when a situation is too unfair.
2) You level the playing field when a situation is too unfair.
3) He levels the playing field when a situation is too unfair.
4) She levels the playing field when a situation is too unfair.
5) The government levels the playing field when social inequities are discovered.
6) We level the playing field when a situation is too unfair.
7) You (all) level the playing field when a situation is too unfair.
8) They level the playing field when a situation is too unfair.
9) Level the playing field and eliminate special rights of the elite.
10) Show them you're ready to level the playing field. Enlist others. The more we raise, the more we can do.
11) Unwittingly or not, refusing to make the right call unfairly levels the playing field, cutting into the advantage one team may have over its opponent.
12) It levels the playing field so that people who are physically dominant find themselves in a different status relationship.
13) Humor also levels the playing field to create an atmosphere that encourages honest dialogue, open communication, and increased risk-taking.
14) It sort of levels the playing field from the traditional power structure, where the networks hold all the cards.
15) Giving everyone access to all the unlocks levels the playing field, and allows the game to accurately rate your average skill.
16) Taxes are not a method of leveling the playing field. They are another way to buy votes.
17) When we talk about leveling the playing field, it is generally in terms of economic opportunity.
18) Patents can create jobs and they can encourage invention by leveling the playing field and making worth it for people to innovate.
19) A distributive system that rewards effort, doesn't go far enough in leveling the playing field because those who are naturally gifted will always get ahead.
20) The Internet really has been the death of distance leveling the playing field for small businesses and individuals.