"to lie low"
to keep yourself or your plans hidden so as not to be noticed or caught
Related words and phrases:
Two office workers are talking ...
Worker 1: Are you going to get fired?
Worker 2: The boss was really mad.
Worker 1: Perhaps if you stay out of sight for a couple of days, the boss will forget about it.
Worker 2: Good idea. I'll lie low around the office for a couple of days.
Two police detectives are talking ...
Detective 1: Any chance of finding the thief?
Detective 2: It's not going to be easy. I'm sure the thief is hiding somewhere.
Detective 1: Well, the thief can't lie low forever. He's got to make an appearance at some point.
Detective 2: You're right. I'll catch the thief when he comes out of hiding.
Lying low for a few days after a bank robbery is a smart thing to do for a thief.
1) Even if they are Gorbachev-type figures they would have to lie low, they would have to hide their ideological and policy orientations.
2) He had a lot of enemies and he returned to his village to lie low.
3) The evening will pass quickly and safely enough if we lie low and out of sight.
4) They feel put upon and act out, too spiteful to just lie low and let something die.
5) If I was you I would just lie low and see what happens.
6) This is the time to lie low by the shelter of the wall and let the worst of the onslaught pass.
7) The highly-disciplined soldiers of Hezbollah are trained to lie low for years, or for decades.
8) Sorry, but truth hurts sometimes. Meagan, my best advice is to lie low, if you truly don't want negative comments.
9) He panicked and laid low for a little bit.
10) She couldn't have laid low if she wanted to. Nope. Out and about front and centre.
11) He sensibly laid low for several months until he could present his case to a judge.
12) HIV excels at dodging attack, both by mutating and by lying low in a latent, or inactive, form in which it still remains viable.
13) These misunderstandings are tricky, slipping under the radar, lying low for years until an offhanded comment is made and the truth is suddenly revealed.
14) Bolt is currently lying low in west London, living near Heathrow and training at nearby tracks.
15) He wasn't supposed to be in any kind of contact while lying low in Khartoum let alone sending encrypted sentences at two o'clock in the morning local.
16) They're lying low until the publicity dies down.
17) Lying low from the law, Uncle Charlie is actually the infamous Merry Widow Murderer.
18) On one occasion the dogs found a wolf lying low.
19) Broadwell has reportedly been in touch with her neighbors and is simply lying low while the spotlight's on her.
20) It didn't disappear, it is lying low for a while.